Anybody recognise this plant?

New Post Advanced Search

Anybody recognise this plant?

10 replies 538 views
MisslayedMisslayed Forumite, Board Guide
8.1K posts
Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭
It's self seeded, has grown to about a metre tall this year.

Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a Board Guide on the Competitions, Site Feedback and Campaigns boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

Replies

• edited 3 July at 5:23PM
    GrenageGrenage Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 July at 5:23PM
    Hypericum Androsaemum?
    I threw it into https://plant.id/ btw.  I know the botanical names of about 8 plants.

• DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    32.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it does look like the 'wild' hypericum an elderly lady gave us last year. I've had stuff from her before, so I stuck it in quarantine and, sure enough, it migrated, seedlings popping up.
    Has yours flowered because mine is in full bloom right now and we are usually a little late here?
    Sponsoring The Warning in 2020
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Santana.....err... Kanami Tono?
  • MisslayedMisslayed Forumite, Board Guide
    8.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's just about to flower, nothing else has changed til the last week. Watch this space!
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a Board Guide on the Competitions, Site Feedback and Campaigns boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • twopennytwopenny Forumite
    305 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I first thought Hypericum but it's not the cultivated type. I grew one once under trees because its so stoic it will last anywhere. It was rubbish as a decorative plant and had to go - which is rare for me. The cultivated ones are only slightly better.
    Wild Hypericum

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

32.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my wild hypericum.Small flowers, under an inch across:Sadly, it doesn't really look like your plant. :'(

469fc3ds43h3.jpg
    8.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Davesnave, it does look very similar, the leaf shape and arrangement on the stem are virtually the same, but the buds on mine are tiny. Maybe mine's wilder than yours!  I'm on the Dorset coast in an almost microclimate, not too dissimilar from your location?

32.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, that's a better picture and it looks more promising..... :)
    Your microclimate ought to be better than mine; after all, you have Abbotsbury Sub-Tropical Gardens.
    I'm 500' up in the middle of Devon, but it's not too bad. Usually a degree or two cooler, but no problems with dinosaurs!
    469fc3ds43h3.jpg
  • twopennytwopenny Forumite
    305 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    This is becoming a mystery. I saw a version of this plant  growing profusely in a stone wall  of a car park on Exmoor.
    It didn't used to be there but is rampant now. I don't really recognise it as st johns wort but it is very similar. There is a garden behind the wall so it could be wild or could have escaped.

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

8.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mystery solved, it flowered and it's definitely wild hypericum, thanks @Davesnave et Al

8.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not a great photo, did it on my phone, and I'm Very Very Old!