PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Grandson and partner

Hello, everyone, I am new to this site and hope that someone can point me in the right direction! my grandson and his partner both suffer disabilities tried to get on the council list but was told there was a long list that was fine so they got in touch with a letting agent who showed them one but it was outside where they needed to be close to family but they took it on a years contract at £700 a mouth in the meantime they where looking for somewhere near to family and they had to see a few as it came up to the year ending the agent was pushing them to sign for another year knowing they were looking for a house closer to family his mum told the agency that she did not think that was right of them, so they came back and told them that the landlord would let them have a six-month contract so my grandson said that would be better as they hope to be moving soon he did ask if he could have a mouths contract but they told him no as he thought he would have to give mouths notice.

so they find a nice house and the landlord tell them there is a lot of people interested in the house so he would have to take everything into consideration he knew they were both on benefits and as luck would have it he picked them, so my grandson and his partner were overjoyed they had got  a nice house was near to shops witch meant they did not have to go far and best of all they were close to both family.

Now the sting they paid the new landlord the first-month rent then went to the agent of there home told them they had found a nice place to live and that they would like to pay a month notice and they did with help from the family they even tidied the garden up and had the rubbish removed that had been there for over a year? then they got a text saying that they had to pay another two months as that would take them to the end of there contract but they can not afford to do that they have loaned money plus they have had to pay out two lots of rent and with both of them on benefits they can not do it they have never defaulted in all the time they have been there; so I a granddad asking if there is anything they could or can do to help them both.
Thanking you in advance Spraggerdog.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 July 2020 at 4:22PM
    You're on the wrong board - this is a tenancy issue and would be better placed on the housing/renting board, they've got more idea over there about where your grandson might stand. 
    I would suggest you repost there but cut out most of the surplus information.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/house-buying-renting-selling

So they were in a rental in house A, found house B to move to  and are now paying two lots of rental due to the overlap and query about how much notice they needed to give for house A? Have they actually moved into house B yet and what length tenancy have they signed?
    You will also need to say what sort of tenancy they have signed, the date it started and the date they gave notice for house A.
    For future reference, they could have gone onto a rolling contact on house A, they did not need to sign a new 6 month tenancy. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I've messaged a board guide to see if they can move this one over for you. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If your grandson has moved put before the end of his tenancy then yes of course he is responsible for the rent and bills etc until the end.

You dont provide dstes but based on you saying 2 months shall we assume that they are 4 months into a 6 month contract?

They really should have checked before signing another tenancy
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    so I a granddad asking if there is anything they could or can do to help them both.
    Give them the money that they owe their old landlord?
  • greatcrested
    greatcrested Posts: 5,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    My understanding is
    * they signed a 6 month contract with the old landlord yes? What were the start and end dates?
    * is there anything written in that contract saying they can end it early? If yes (unlikely), how much notice is required?
    * they've now signed a 2nd, new, contract with a new landlord so are paying 2 rents yes?
    Their mistake was to sign the 6 month contract with the old landlord. If they had not done this, they would have had a 'periodic' contract, running from month to month. But that is now history.
    Their best option is to pursuade their current (old) landlord, or his agent, to accept an 'Early Surrender' of the tenancy, but the LL does not have to agree, and if he does, he can ask for compensation eg his costs to re-market, have the property empty etc.
    The alternative is to wait (and pay rent)till the 6 months is up.
  • Thank you for your help, and being new to this site I have to get used to it?.
  • greatcrested
    greatcrested Posts: 5,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thank you for your help, and being new to this site I have to get used to it?.
    It's not mandatory.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure