Water Running Behind Roof Fascia

Options
I recently realized that when it rains heavily, water runs down the roof tiles and back under and down the fascia, so I have bought some drip tray strips, to fit under the felt and over the gutter, but when trying to fit them I have discovered that the top of the fascia is about nine inches above the roof battens, with the felt rising vertically up and over the fascia, making it impossible to fit the drip trays under the felt. Will it be OK to fit the drip trays over the felt? And what stops the water that gets through the tiles just puddling in the trough behind the fascia? My house is a bungalow built in 1950 and all the roofs in the street seem to be the same.

Comments

• EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Are you saying the rain comes down the roof then has to go up over the fascia? If so it won't, water won't run uphill. It shouldn't be like that and it needs fixing.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Have you a photo?  From what you have descibed, the guuter seems to be behind the fascia which is possible, but very unsual.  Also, what do you mean by "drip trays"?
  • stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 4,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I guess he means Eaves protectors. Need to go under the felt, waste of time on top.
  • chewthecarpet
    Options
    Let me try to explain a bit clearer: the last three or four rows of tiles at the bottom of the roof sit on top of the fascia, reducing the slope of the roof at the bottom, but the actual roof joists obviously slope down at the same angle to the bottom, which leaves a nine inch gap between the top of the fascia/last row of tiles, down to the roof joists. Water is running back under the lower tile edge (because there is no slope) and down the outside of the fascia boards. Should I fit wages protectors under the tiles to ensure the water goes into the gutter?
  • chewthecarpet
    Options
    Bloody predictive text! It should read eaves protectors!
  • stuart45
    Options
    Have you got a photo of the roof detail? Only the eaves course should be on the fascia. Sometimes sprocketed eaves are used to lessen the fall on a really large steep roof, which is more likely on a bungalow. Even then the tiles should still carry the water into the gutter. 
  • chewthecarpet
    Options
    As you can see, the bottom row of tiles are almost horizontal, with little fall, so the water runs back underneath, and through, the lower gaps.
  • stuart45
    Options
    Your felt has probably rotted at the eaves. This is quite a common problem. 
  • chewthecarpet
    Options
    An update on this: a roofer thinks that the fascia has been fitted too high, raising the last line of tiles and causing the water to run back underneath, so it looks like a new fascia is going to be needed.
  • chewthecarpet
    Options
    The fascia has been fitted too high, so that there is no fall on the lower tiles. Roofer thinks that the best action is to remove lower tiles, scribe line along fascia board and cut the board down in sections, which seems a Hell of a job, so I will have to think about it!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback