Changing supplier from edf ..complications

Options
another_casualty
another_casualty Posts: 6,506 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Howdy ! 
Thanks to Gerry 1 and Talldave in advance for helping with related  thread ( edf and octopus )  in advance . 
The story so far : My blue + tariff with edf came to an end this year . Confusing though it seems , my electric tariff expired on 30 th april
Gas finished 30 th June .  My mind was made up to leave them for 3 reasons..1) The constant stalking and harrassment by email, text phone and mobile app to insist that they are installing a smart meter which I do not want . 2) when I enquired about possible boiler grant due to being a home moaner and on universal credit , I was told by a snotty woman that there was no way and that all of the  suppliers are the same . That's odd, as EON did the business .  3) They are too expensive compared to many . 

The mistakes I made when going on comparison websites ( money expert and simply switch ), was to put my mobile no when giving my details .Doh! 🤦
So I went with Orbit after receiving a call from money expert . As pointed out by Gerry1 and Talldave  ..not good!
I have a cooling off period . When I saw the address put down it was incorrect and I informed money expert and Orbit
Yesterday, I contacted edf and asked to leave. That was hard work as their system was down a few times during the week
The advisor turned my request into a complaint . Bear in mind that n my previous address before moving I used to always be with edf believing that it's best to stay with their blue+ tariffs etc. I had my head in the sand  and was in debt but never missed payments to edf
So, they offered me £15 as a goodwill gesture . I called it paltry and they offered £25 max to close the complaint.
The advisor told me she would handle my issues seriously and  will send me the best tariffs. They were just the same as on their website 

I haven't heard anything from orbit after my 3 attempts to stop the switchover to them . Until now , when I got an email telling me that EDF have blocked the switch . 
Any ideas how to proceed ? 
Thanks 

Comments

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 July 2020 at 6:27PM
    Options
    Well, at least you won't have to battle your way out of Orbit !  But why did EDF block your switch?
    Presumably you are in debt (which is not the same as having a negative DD balance).  Remind me, how have you been paying EDF?  If it's via DD and they've all been honoured, then they can't block your switch; they will send you a closing bill within six weeks (otherwise £30 compo) after which any credit will be refunded within two weeks (otherwise £30 compo), or you will have to pay the outstanding balance promptly.
    If you've paid on receipt of bill but haven't kept up and are in debt, then they can block your transfer.  If you've owed the money to EDF for 28 days or less, you can switch supplier. The debt will be added to your final EDF bill.
    However, if you've owed EDF money for more than 28 days, you can't switch supplier until you've paid the money back.
    You're probably now on expensive EDF tariffs for both gas and electricity.  If you can't pay the 'bail to get out of jail', in the meantime consider switching to the cheapest EDF tariffs without exit fees.  You may have to do this via a comparison site because the best deals often don't appear on the energy companies' own websites.
    BTW, you don't have to tell the old company that you're leaving, it's all driven by the new company.
  • another_casualty
    edited 2 July 2020 at 6:45PM
    Options
    Thanks once again Gerry1 😼
    Very odd circumstances: EDF don't give monthly bills  for electric . Only twice a year I was told yesterday . The gas  does give monthly bills . 
    Now the state of my account . Please bear in mind that I've always been in credit with them ,until recently when they keep adjusting my direct debit payments .( Another reason why I have to escape ) . 
    Yesterday, my gas was slightly in debit £15 ish . Now £ 20.69 credit . 
    Latest Bill was £34.11 ( 14 May -23 June ) 
    Electreic Latest Bill ( 30 Oct 2019 - 27 Jan 2020) £14.55  Account balance £400.45 credit
    I pay direct debit 1st of the month 
    I'm at a loss as to how to manage these accounts . When I moved into this flat in 2017 I made sure I overpaid as they keep sodding about with direct debit payments as to what they think I'll spend . Times are tougher now on universal credit obviously . 
    So i keep getting  "everything's up to date on your account " on the app 
    what am I doing wrong ? 
  • Gerry1
    Options
    Righto, send them a letter by Royal Mail, preferably with a free certificate of posting.  Head it COMPLAINT and ask for a deadlock letter.  Consider copying it by email to their 'Managing Director - Customers' whose info can be found at the ceoemail website (search for it).
    Go to the Ombudsman on receipt of the deadlock letter, or after eight weeks if they don't send one.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks very much for that Gerry1 😼
    I will do that , and of course let you know the outcome . 
    The annoying thing is that I'm stuck with them on their expensive variable tariffs ( May electric / July gas ) . 
    Apart from staying with them as long as I have , I think the only really thing I've done wrong is not give monthly meter readings . But as I say , the tampering with my direct debits made me overpay anyway until this last month for gas .  If I let things slip, I would have had nasty surprises . 
    As for orbit , I guess I just do nothing as they were blocked by edf ? They may even have blocked themselves as I did tell them I don't want to join them after all .
    I'll leave it there...😾
  • Gerry1
    Options
    The annoying thing is that I'm stuck with them on their expensive variable tariffs ( May electric / July gas ) .
    Not necessarily.  Find out the EDF tariffs you're now on and exactly what the rates are.  Browse through the comparison sites and you may find cheaper exclusive EDF tariffs that have no exit fee.
  • another_casualty
    edited 2 July 2020 at 7:32PM
    Options
    Gerry1 said:
    Not necessarily.  Find out the EDF tariffs you're now on and exactly what the rates are.  Browse through the comparison sites and you may find cheaper exclusive EDF tariffs that have no exit fee.
    So,it's best to stay with them while I'm sorting out the complaint, albeit  moving on  to their cheaper tariff? 
  • Gerry1
    Options
    If EDF have blocked your switch, you don't have very much choice !
  • another_casualty
    Options
    I just looked at their tariffs on various comparison websites ..They all insist on mandatory smart meters . 
    One thing I forgot to mention . It may be relevant , it may not . 
    The adviser I spoke to gave me her email address , and asked me to contact her if I have any problems etc . Obviously , I'll be taking your lead Gerry1 by doing doing what you mentioned above . When I was looking for the gas comparison link it wouldn't work as someone requested access to my acct ( orbit I assume ) . 
    On the electric link, there are ones without smart meters , so I'll look at those . 
    I'll probably commit to the least expensive tariff under protest . I have no choice .
    At the back of my mind , I do wonder if I should contact her first to let off more steam etc
    Probably not 
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Update : When looking for ceo of EDF , I found an article from the Telegraph telling us how to complain . I emailed the complaints team and Simone Rossi who is ceo. 
    I tore into them while  requesting the deadlock letter. 
    I will now go onto their cheaper tariffs for the time being saving about £2 a month 
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Just signed up for cheaper tariffs 
    regarding the electric , there will bd a £15 exit fee. Not too bothered as they just gave me £25 .plus the actual savings will be covered while my enquiry goes on . 
    I'll leave it there 😼
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure