PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does my employer have to provide a reference?

Options
I'm applying for a mortgage and my lender needs a reference for my income. I have non-standard income and don't receive payslips or a p60 or anything like that. It's all above board and legal but it's bursary income. My employer is refusing to provide a reference and I can't get a mortgage without one. Surely this can't be allowed?

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No, your employer doesnt have to provide a reference.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can you show evidence of a regular income into your account? Bank statements?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • greatcrested
    greatcrested Posts: 5,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Doyou not have a contract of some kind?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bursary income is normally to help with education?  What do you mean by bursary income.  The fact that there is no payslip or P60 might make it difficult to assess as income by a lender.  Do you have a broker? You might need one in this situation.
  • cooltt
    cooltt Posts: 852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm applying for a mortgage and my lender needs a reference for my income. I have non-standard income and don't receive payslips or a p60 or anything like that. It's all above board and legal but it's bursary income. My employer is refusing to provide a reference and I can't get a mortgage without one. Surely this can't be allowed?

Effectively, to a lender, you have no income they would consider lending on.
  • Annisele
    Annisele Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Employers don't have to provide a reference. But are you technically an employee at all? The term 'bursary' suggests not.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How are they employing you but not providing payslips? Do you not do PAYE? P60? Tax returns?
  • MortgageMeee
    Options
    1. The lender fully accepts my income. Bursary income is accepted by many lenders. Not at all relevant.
    2. I did have a broker but found this lender by myself. Not at all relevant.
    3. Yes I have a contract and proof of my income. The lender requires a reference person that they can contact to confirm my income - they've required the same thing for my husband who does a very standard job with standard income. This, again, it not relevant.
    4. Bursary income is not taxed. I don't have PAYE, P60 or tax returns as a result. Even if I did - it's not relevant, they need to speak to a human being to confirm the paperwork that they've been supplied with.
    What is it with this forum and people just completely avoiding what OP has actually asked and just thinking they know best? My lender says they need a point of contact from my employer in order to get a reference from them to confirm my income (they would require this regardless of what kind of income I had). What do people do if their employer just refuses to do this? Surely either the employer should be obliged to confirm/deny the income or the mortgage lender should demand this?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback