Would / will you send kids back to nursery / school?

Comments

• Resurrect
    Resurrect Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    maman said:
    I listened to Gavin Williamson and the Public Health person tonight and it was obvious that they believed that teachers could get children to social distance quite well at school but that parents would not control (their word not mine) them out of school. Unfortunately the physical size of classrooms is what will stop schools social distancing with class size bubbles. Other countries have used a 'blended' shift system to keep children safe while returning to education. 

Can I ask what you would do? 
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Probably, at the moment, promise the blended model and full time if infection is massively more under control. I would have done that months ago so that so much schooling wouldn't have been missed. Even exams could have taken place as they're always socially distanced. I think if children had part time schooling they'd be far more likely to do work set for the rest of the day /week as it would be followed up quickly. To make a huge jump to almost no social distancing from 'stay at home' for so many pupils seems a huge step. Fortunately it won't be happening for 2 months yet so the situation may have improved and Leicester will be a one off. As a parent I'd wait until late August to make a decision. I'd prefer it if government ministers would be more flexible and admit than we don't know what the situation will be in September and need a range of plans. They made rash promises for early June and then blamed everyone else when it didn't work.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My partner has her granddaughter living with her

She would send her back as soon as possible (last I heard she may be back for a couple of short days next week). Her main concern is the lack of time the granddaughter (who is 6) is getting with other children, 
  • ElephantBoy57
    ElephantBoy57 Posts: 799 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 3 July 2020 at 7:36AM
    maman said:
    I can't understand the reasoning behind today's announcement. The social distancing measures for schools and colleges and nurseries are the least for any public setting. So we need to be safe at work, in the shops, in the pub or restaurant but in schools it doesn't matter. Children have been infected in Leicester. What are the priorities? What's the peculiar science that's guiding this? 🤔
    The number of deaths registered in the UK over one week has fallen below the five-year average for the first time since mid-March. Deaths from other things are much lower than normal due to the lockdown. So we are now at normal levels.  If people are on lockdown, they are less likely to catch mumps, measles, tuberculosis (TB), Hepatitis A and B etc.

• ftm1983
    ftm1983 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Yes we would. Our son is Yr 4 and desperate to go back. Other than a phone call from the school once, we've had no other work sent home or any other contact. We gave up on homeschooling as well. 
    Our daughter is due to start her gov funded hours in September, she'd actually started at the preschool in January and had jut settled before it closed down in March. They reopened in June but were not offering the sessions she was in prior, so we never sent her back. I have emailed them a few times about what the plan for September is - every reply has been they don't know. They break up in two weeks, so I have no idea what is happening with either kid in September.
  • JWM
    JWM Posts: 454 Forumite
    ftm1983 said:
    Yes we would. Our son is Yr 4 and desperate to go back. Other than a phone call from the school once, we've had no other work sent home or any other contact. We gave up on homeschooling as well. 
    Our daughter is due to start her gov funded hours in September, she'd actually started at the preschool in January and had jut settled before it closed down in March. They reopened in June but were not offering the sessions she was in prior, so we never sent her back. I have emailed them a few times about what the plan for September is - every reply has been they don't know. They break up in two weeks, so I have no idea what is happening with either kid in September.
    Please don't take this as a criticism, but a genuine question - why did you give up on home schooling?

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    ftm1983 said:
    That's shocking! (But don't give up on the home schooling - just choose what you feel is important "educational" skills).

My son is in Y4 and the school uses Class Dojo. He gets sent 4 pieces of work to do per day which we have to upload, although he is quite fed up with the two or three word responses from his teacher when he put loads of effort into something!!

For those with no printer or limited internet access, the work is being printed and packs can be collected from school.

Have you phoned and asked the school for work? They can't just not provide work!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • ftm1983
    JWM said:
    ftm1983 said:
    Please don't take this as a criticism, but a genuine question - why did you give up on home schooling?

Mainly as we didn't have enough work to do, we've exhausted all the internet and resources we were given, plus both DH and I are working from home as well as trying to look after both kids. There's loads in the same situation, it's extremely difficult.
  • ftm1983
    Pinkshoes, yes we have. They've told us about various websites and we've done them all.
  • JWM
    JWM Posts: 454 Forumite
    ftm1983 said:
    JWM said:
    ftm1983 said:

Mainly as we didn't have enough work to do, we've exhausted all the internet and resources we were given, plus both DH and I are working from home as well as trying to look after both kids. There's loads in the same situation, it's extremely difficult.

Thanks, I really was just asking! I understand how difficult t must be with both of you WFH.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback