New Post Advanced Search

Garden Quote

28 replies 1.5K views
Danny30Danny30 Forumite
219 posts
Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭
Hi All, would like some advice please. Just had a landscaper come round and have had a quote for £8000 which is more then I was hoping for. Just literally want turf the garden. 
Garden is around 120 sq meteres with a concrete greenhouse that also needs demolishing. Problem is garden is higher then neighbours garden so he is saying needs to have concrete boulders or something like that along fence to avoid soil overloading neighbours fence. As the garden is also full of overgrown brambles he also said needs to expect to dig 15 inches deep to get to roots and ensure doesn't overgrow again in the future. 

Does that seem correct? 

Replies

• EssexExileEssexExile Forumite
    4.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't sound ridiculous to me but get more quotes.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    9.3K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looking at the state of the garden the figure certainly doesn't seem excessive.  There is a lot of work involved in clearing the garden, removing the greenhouse, levelling the ground and turfing.
  • edited 2 July at 12:22PM
    SilvertabbySilvertabby Forumite
    5.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 July at 12:22PM
    This is a very labour intensive job - plus not only the cost of (many) skips but also disposal fees for the greenhouse.

Get another couple quotes, but be prepared for them to be for similar amounts.  
  • vw100vw100 Forumite
    298 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    A lot of work here, get more quotes, expect about the same.  Is there possibility of getting a mini digger or tractor in?
  • Danny30Danny30 Forumite
    219 posts
    ✭✭
    I can get a mini digger in there but that is included in the cost. 
  • edited 2 July at 6:02PM
    king132king132 Forumite
    93 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 2 July at 6:02PM
    8k is a fair bit of money to throw at a garden project. 
    If you have time and energy then you can get a lot of it done yourself cheaply then just pay a professional to finish off.
    Spread the project over a year, with garden ready for next summer.
    20L glyphosate off ebay about £80 will pretty much kill off everything in your garden.
    Get a mini digger and driver on a day rate for around £200 and tear down the greenhouse and level some of that garden. maybe even get that stump out for you.
    Two wheel barrows £60. £200-400 on two skips. Some of that greenhouse could be taken down to your local recycling centre.
    Then get a professional in to sort out your fences and lay turf 2-3k?!
    A few months and a bit of your own labour and i reckon you could have your garden done for less than half the quote.

• edited 3 July at 8:17AM
    Danny30Danny30 Forumite
    219 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 3 July at 8:17AM
    Thank you very much. That sounds like a plan. Does glyphosate kill the brambles to the roots? 
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    9.3K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glyphosate will kill down to the roots but will probably take multiple applications to kill brambles completely.
  • edited 3 July at 9:39AM
    Danny30Danny30 Forumite
    219 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 3 July at 9:39AM
    TELLIT01 said:
    Glyphosate will kill down to the roots but will probably take multiple applications to kill brambles completely.
    Thanks. How many applications and in what intervals would you recommend? Hate this things and don't want them to grow back. 
  • tommyedinburghtommyedinburgh Forumite
    176 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    I think your garden is possibly a bit bigger, however it looks similar to what ours was like. We had four trees taken down and stumps removed. Vegetation everywhere and a decking area removed. New path and patio with turfing and rearranging fence for £4500 (I’ve no before pic).