Forum Home» Marriage, Relationships & Families

I know this is the wrong forum.. but I am stuck! - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

I know this is the wrong forum.. but I am stuck!

19 replies 2.4K views
2»

Replies

• mamanmaman Forumite
    23K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For any poor weather, l'd suggest Charlestown where they have a Shipwreck Centre and Wheal Martin china clay which is interesting for the history of the area. If you'd do an hour's drive then I'd go to Flambards or Gweek Seal Sanctuary or Morwellham. Or there's the Eden Project. You could look at the websites to see if they're open /of interest to you both. 🙂
  • edited 6 July at 11:52PM
    deannatroisdeannatrois Forumite
    7.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 July at 11:52PM
    It depends on the child of course, but I was quite surprised last year to discover my son absolutely hated being taken on a different 'trip' every day.  He was happiest on the beach digging his way to China.  He enjoyed being in a familiar place.  It might be best to try and find out what he wants to do as well.  

It was quite funny.., he dug and he dug, and it seemed to start off a fashion.  After a couple of hours there were an awful lot of people of different ages doing exactly the same thing.  I've never seen so many holes lolol.  Yes they were filled in again. 

Of course, its also important to find a less crowded beach and to know where open public conveniences are.  
  • hb2hb2 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭

Of course, its also important to find a less crowded beach and to know where open public conveniences are.  
    On that note, someone introduced me to this site recently - https://www.lockdownloo.com/
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • HelenNoreenHelenNoreen Forumite
    11 posts
    Second Anniversary First Post
    silvercar said:
    It is an effect of coronovirus I'm afraid, the MSE employees don't have the manpower at the moment to cover the whole board, so have closed certain boards for the time being. There was an announcement at the time.
    Ok, that absolutely makes perfect sense now. Thank you. I thought I was going mad!!
    11 posts
    maman said:
    For any poor weather, l'd suggest Charlestown where they have a Shipwreck Centre and Wheal Martin china clay which is interesting for the history of the area. If you'd do an hour's drive then I'd go to Flambards or Gweek Seal Sanctuary or Morwellham. Or there's the Eden Project. You could look at the websites to see if they're open /of interest to you both. 🙂
    Thank you. I have done a few google searches, and the shipwreck centre has come up a few times - but its currently closed. I will check out the others, thank you. Yes, we have Eden Project as a back up; just seems very expensive. 
    11 posts
    It depends on the child of course, but I was quite surprised last year to discover my son absolutely hated being taken on a different 'trip' every day.  He was happiest on the beach digging his way to China.  He enjoyed being in a familiar place.  It might be best to try and find out what he wants to do as well.  

It was quite funny.., he dug and he dug, and it seemed to start off a fashion.  After a couple of hours there were an awful lot of people of different ages doing exactly the same thing.  I've never seen so many holes lolol.  Yes they were filled in again. 

Yes, my son absolutely would be happiest on the beach - just concerned that even he will get bored with 5 of this. But I have ordered some crapping items online (rather than relying on shops when we get there); as we have watched people do it, but never done it ourselves (perhaps because I have a life long fear of crabs!!) I am finding it difficult to find information about which beaches have facilities open; may have to "wing it"; which is never something I find easy to do! 
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    23K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a very small beach next to Charlestown Harbour. I've never been there for the sun but off season it's good for skimming pebbles so could be good on a poorer weather day. 🤔
  • sammyjammysammyjammy Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    My Mum and Dad live in Par!
    There is a restaurant on the beach, its Italian and really nice, you can get a coffee or a light snack there as well.  THere is also a small indoor pool but not sure if that would be open.
    Fowey is about three miles away and there is a lovely small beach there called Readymoney, Polkerris is just around the coast (you could walk there over the cliff top) which also has a beach or their is Menabilly which you would need to drive too, bit of a walk to it but very safe and could always walk up to Gribben Head if he gets bored.  You could explore the woods at Cardinham which is about 30 minutes drive.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
    11 posts
    My Mum and Dad live in Par!
    There is a restaurant on the beach, its Italian and really nice, you can get a coffee or a light snack there as well.  THere is also a small indoor pool but not sure if that would be open.
    Fowey is about three miles away and there is a lovely small beach there called Readymoney, Polkerris is just around the coast (you could walk there over the cliff top) which also has a beach or their is Menabilly which you would need to drive too, bit of a walk to it but very safe and could always walk up to Gribben Head if he gets bored.  You could explore the woods at Cardinham which is about 30 minutes drive.
    Thank you so much for all the info, I really appreciate it xx