Forum Home» Phones & TV» Broadband & Internet Access

Switching from BT...will my BT TV box still work?

New Post Advanced Search

Switching from BT...will my BT TV box still work?

9 replies 133 views
My BT contract is about to end so I'm looking around. We don't really need the BT TV services as we are quite happy with the standard channels.

BT supplied a TV box which is a YouView box & I understand this is now mine as the contract is at an end. Can I use the BT box to receive FreeView channels if I switch to another provider? In particular will it still record from these channels & retain the recordings already made?

My gut feeling is that it will but there seems to be several different opinions around from what I have read.....BT themselves seem to be very unclear about this aspect of leaving them.....

Many thanks in anticipation.

Replies

• mnbvcxzmnbvcxz Forumite
    297 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Yup, I have a second hand one and I'm not even on BT. Works fine. 

Premium channels will disappear obviously, and probably recordings of premium channels. But recording Freeview is fine. 
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes Freeview watch and record .
    BT subscription channels like BT Sport you lose the recordings as i understand .
  • almillaralmillar Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to confirm, I've got a BT box which has never been on BT broadband. Freeview, recording, iPlayer, Netflix, EVERYTHING works, except the bits you would be paying BT for - 'BT Player' on the remote control.
  • Chris_P._Bacon_3Chris_P._Bacon_3 Forumite
    5 posts
    Eighth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Many thanks for all your responses.....as I suspected then...it will continue to work.
  • jbuchanangbjbuchanangb Forumite
    517 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Your BT Youview box will also work when connected to the Internet through an ISP other than BT. I own a BT Youview box and use TalkTalk as my ISP. For some years I subscribed to TalkTalk's TV service and used it to watch Sky Sports, but I have cancelled that subscription now. The box does all the other things you would expect it to.
  • Chris_P._Bacon_3Chris_P._Bacon_3 Forumite
    5 posts
    Eighth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Many thanks chaps....

BTW what are we to make of the note on BTs pages saying that as of 13/12/19 they own all hubs & TV boxes......

From the BT Website...

Ownership of broadband hubs and TV boxes

• As of 13 December 2019, we own all BT Broadband Hubs (Hub 4, Smart Hub, and Smart Hub 2) and TV Boxes (Z4, G4 and G5) sent out to customers. Not applicable for Hubs and Wi-Fi Discs purchased outright.
    • When you replace hubs or boxes, or leave BT, please return those items to us. If the kit is not returned, you may be liable for a charge. Details of charging can be found on the Tariff Guide.
    • You have a total of 60 days to return your items and which includes the time taken for us to send out a jiffy bag.
    • If you prefer, you may also drop your items off in an EE store (see BT.com/returns for more details)
    It looks as though BT will be asking for their TV boxes back in future...& I would guess charging you for them if you don't return them. My contract was taken out before 13th December so I would argue this doesn't apply to me 
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Many thanks chaps....

BTW what are we to make of the note on BTs pages saying that as of 13/12/19 they own all hubs & TV boxes......

From the BT Website...

• As of 13 December 2019, we own all BT Broadband Hubs (Hub 4, Smart Hub, and Smart Hub 2) and TV Boxes (Z4, G4 and G5) sent out to customers. Not applicable for Hubs and Wi-Fi Discs purchased outright.
    • When you replace hubs or boxes, or leave BT, please return those items to us. If the kit is not returned, you may be liable for a charge. Details of charging can be found on the Tariff Guide.
    • You have a total of 60 days to return your items and which includes the time taken for us to send out a jiffy bag.
    • If you prefer, you may also drop your items off in an EE store (see BT.com/returns for more details)
    It looks as though BT will be asking for their TV boxes back in future...& I would guess charging you for them if you don't return them. My contract was taken out before 13th December so I would argue this doesn't apply to me 
    Looks like they are following Virgin and Sky Q ; I suspect that their enthusiasm, for reclaiming their kit , will wane as the kit gets older as a 3 or 4 year old box/hub will really only have scrap value. 
  • missilemissile Forumite
    10.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many thanks chaps....

From the BT Website...

They have always asked for the router to be returned, I ignored their "request"
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many BT TV users will have paid for the box circa £49 + p&p.