Forum Home» Insurance & Life Assurance

Vanline Direct insurance ripoff

New Post Advanced Search

Vanline Direct insurance ripoff

9 replies 155 views
I got an online insurance quote using Vanline Direct and a company called The Van Insurer. The policy was not to start for a couple of days, so i paid the full premium and was sent a link to check my policy details etc...the link did not work.
I was then contacted the next day by The Van Insurer, who asked me to confirm details, which I did, but they mentioned the market value of the van was £4000, I said it would probably be £5000 as its low mileage, the girl on the phone altered it and then said I have to pay an additional £25 for the alteration, so i told her to put it back to £4000, but she said she was unable to do that. 
I was furious and asked to be put through to customer services who said that if I did not pay the additional fee they would cancel the policy in 5 days time (after the policy had started). If I chose to cancel the policy I would have to pay an admin fee of £25. 
They had already taken the full premium from my account and issued a copy of my insurance documents via e-mail (before it was due to come into effect) which shows the market value as 'not exceeding £5000'. It further e-mail also contained a link to a portal to check everything over, but the link did/does not work.
Where do I stand??? Thanks 
Mick

Replies

• forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    30.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is it worth?  Market Value.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• mickyasy2kmickyasy2k Forumite
    5 posts
    First Post
    Market value is £5000, as stated, their documents says not to exceed £5000, but they want to charge for altering it from their estimate of £4000 to £5000.
  • dacouchdacouch Forumite
    21.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send them a well worded, polite and concise "Official Complaint", they are duty bound to investigate it and report back to you. The chances are they will write the £25 off and refund it to you.

For best results avoid the temptation to be sarcastic etc and identify what solution you want from the complaint
  • mickyasy2kmickyasy2k Forumite
    5 posts
    First Post
    UPDATE. 
    I paid their ridiculous fee and have now received an e-mail claiming they will be cancelling my insurance and to go to the link to see the reason why, but the link offers  no reason or explanation. This company looks dodgier and dodgier by the minute.
  • csgohan4csgohan4 Forumite
    8.3K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    you now have a cancellation on file for the sake of £25?? Would it not be better to cover the market value of your van, but you changed your mind over £25??

Now when you take out new insurance policies you will need to declare this cancelled insurance and this will cost you alot more than £25 in the long run. 

Maybe they cancelled because you wanted to manipulate the premium by undervaluing the van after putting it up
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ PIxie RIP
  • chriswchrisw Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try and stop them cancelling it even if it costs you more money and as unfair as it may seem. See if you can cancel it yourself.  An insurer cancelled policy will cost you hassle and money for the rest of your life. 'Have you ever had a policy cancelled, declined or voided....'
  • edited 19 July at 7:00AM
    mickyasy2kmickyasy2k Forumite
    5 posts
    First Post
    edited 19 July at 7:00AM
    Well here's the latest in this debacle, I paid their additional fee and received a request for copies of drivers license etc and to go to their portal to do so. Their portal did not work ( I took screen shots of the error page). So I replied to the e-mail including photos of requested information and screenshot, I then got a reply saying that, that e-mail address is not receiving replies (took another screenshot as proof), I then contacted customer services and sent photographs of relevant documentation to them. I then got another e-mail saying my policy had been cancelled with NO explanation as to why and they had issued a partial refund of only half the policy fee...for only 17 days cover. 
    Where do I stand now???
    Mick
  • camelot1971camelot1971 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like they had a lucky escape.
  • edited 19 July at 1:53PM
    mickyasy2kmickyasy2k Forumite
    5 posts
    First Post
    edited 19 July at 1:53PM
    Sounds like they had a lucky escape.
    How so??? Do you have anything constructive to add or nothing better to than troll people??