Neighbour has threatened a solicitor over restricted conevant

JesshegJessheg Forumite
4 Posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
So at my house we have 2 parking spots one fully flagged and one with gray slate chippings and our beigh8also has gray slate chippings but uses her front land as a garden. We have erected a small border fence on our drive to establish our driveway. We checked all our boundary and everything our elderly neighbour was unhappy about this but never said anything while I put the fence up left it 3 days and then verbally abused myself with some very hurtful and personal things. I kept calm apologised she felt that way and when her son was at home and my husband was home we could all chat. Days went by and finally her son came around and said he likes the fence but she really dosnt and has threatened to go to a solicitor even after agreeing for us all to sit down and talk about it. Anyway he asked if we had looked at ou restrictive conevants which he said states we can't errect a fence. The conevants were written in 1987 when the house was first built. Our neighbour is threatening to get a solicitor involved which obviously we don't want. Where do we stand. The fence is more of a border edging it 30cm high. Should we take it down? We definitely want some sort of devide but in the conevants states no fence, wall or bushes can be put up. 

Replies

• JesshegJessheg Forumite
    4 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Should also mention we're looking to move house in the next 6 months so would like to avoid a dispute. 
  • m0bovm0bov Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jessheg said:
    Should also mention we're looking to move house in the next 6 months so would like to avoid a dispute. 
    Think you’ve answered your own question there!
  • davidmcndavidmcn Forumite
    23.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jessheg said:
    So, avoid the dispute. Sorted.
  • NameUnavailableNameUnavailable Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Jessheg said:
    So at my house we have 2 parking spots one fully flagged and one with gray slate chippings and our beigh8also has gray slate chippings but uses her front land as a garden. We have erected a small border fence on our drive to establish our driveway. We checked all our boundary and everything our elderly neighbour was unhappy about this but never said anything while I put the fence up left it 3 days and then verbally abused myself with some very hurtful and personal things. I kept calm apologised she felt that way and when her son was at home and my husband was home we could all chat. Days went by and finally her son came around and said he likes the fence but she really dosnt and has threatened to go to a solicitor even after agreeing for us all to sit down and talk about it. Anyway he asked if we had looked at ou restrictive conevants which he said states we can't errect a fence. The conevants were written in 1987 when the house was first built. Our neighbour is threatening to get a solicitor involved which obviously we don't want. Where do we stand. The fence is more of a border edging it 30cm high. Should we take it down? We definitely want some sort of devide but in the conevants states no fence, wall or bushes can be put up. 
    So, you have put up a fence (you called it a fence) when the covenants of your property state you can't - it doesn't matter when they were written.
    I think your neighbour is right to be annoyed.

• rach_krach_k Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd take it down but replace it with plant pots so there is a clear divider between your drive and her garden.  When you come to sell, there will be no dispute to declare, no covenants to worry about and your buyers will be able to see exactly what they're buying.  If you get the long, narrow trough-type, they won't take up much space.  
  • princeofpoundsprinceofpounds Forumite
    10.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think your neighbour is right to be annoyed.

Whether the neighbour is annoyed or not is their own personal choice. But unless the neighbour is the beneficiary of the covenant they have no say in the matter at all, as I've just explained.