Positive stories about debt and improving self-esteem

in Debt-Free Wannabe
36 replies 1.8K views
Hello everyone,
I did a quick search of the forum for 'debt and self-esteem' and 'money and self-worth' but couldn't what I was looking for...
...I'm looking for success stories. Anything positive around how you improved your self-esteem while you were in debt, accepted yourself and reminded yourself that money isn't the whole of who you are. What helped you?
 Debt = £8017/£8017 (100% paid - cleared 26th August 2020) Boiler Fund = £2500/£2500 (100% saved - 26th August 2021)Emergency fund = £0/£2000 | 3 months bills cover = £1500/£3600 (42% saved) | Mortgage  = £127352/£132,469.00 (3.86% paid)

Replies

• CreditCardJunkieCreditCardJunkie Forumite
    521 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Honestly I have been so freed after paying off my personal credit card debt.i no longer have to turn down plans, have had the flexibility and confidence (and capital) to start my own business whilst working part time. Hope you find what you're looking for!
    Debt Free as of December 2020 👏
  • Candy0107Candy0107 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I had a lot of debt in my 20's and paid it off with advice here and using Stepchange to learn how to budget.
    It seems strange saying this now, but it was probably the best thing to happen to me so young.  I now budget, manage my credit and have developed a healthy relationship with cash.  I work in finance, and I say with pride how much debt I cleared (work know the back story of why I ended up in debt).
    I'm now saving to pay off my car loan, then saving for a house deposit 
    Debts at the start of my journey - about £23,000 lightbulb moment 01.03.2007 (1st payment to CCCS)..Debt Free Date 25.06.2013 Deposit savings £2,000/£30,000 Car Loan £-9,127 Sealed pot challenge 14 #53
  • sharpe106sharpe106 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would think quite a lot of the diary's fall under the category you are looking for. Although doubt they will show up with your search terms. Also helpful to see how others did it. 
  • helensbiggestfanhelensbiggestfan Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Well I like to think of myself as a success" story.😁.  Thanks to finding  MSE and learning from all the lovely helpful people on these boards.   

10 years ago I was in a mess, staring into the abyss, and not knowing which way to turn.  I feared I might have to file for bankruptcy and lose my home. But I decided that instead of giving up I would rise to the challenge.  Now I'm happily solvent, I sleep well and enjoy my life. I live simply but well.  

And yes, my money mindset is completely changed.  Life is good now that I'm no longer drowning in debt.  

seventh88 you can do it......it might take a while but just stick with it and you will come out the other end.  Hang around these boards and learn from the advice and help from people here. Keep reading, keep posting.  Don't feel sorry for yourself.....accept the challenge, break it down into achievable targets and set yourself mini goals.  Treat it as a game, always pushing yourself a little bit harder and paying it all off bit by bit.  Celebrate your little successes with a small free or affordable treat and just keep going.  

• NaomimNaomim Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    sharpe106 said:
    I would think quite a lot of the diary's fall under the category you are looking for. Although doubt they will show up with your search terms. Also helpful to see how others did it. 
    I agree, read any of the diaries and you will generally see them start with anxious people wondering what to do and how to carry on, eventually there's a change and usually for the positive.   

The best advice is keep reading the boards, keep posting.

Naomim 
    Credit Cards
    NOV 2019 £33,220.42
    Sept 2021 £25,911.39

Tilly Tidy 2021 Mar/April: £7.65 Total 2021 £35.04
    Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again