in Debt-Free Wannabe
36 replies 1.8K views
124»

Replies

• seventh88seventh88 Forumite
    23 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Majoggy said:
     I have a totally different relationship with money now and I am proud of myself for digging myself out of debt.
    Huge well done on all of this. I think the key thing here is you have a different relationship with money - that sounds really healthy for going forward. I hope I can develop this too - get a relationship with money that doesn't make me feel like 'money is my self-worth'.

Debt = £8017/£8017 (100% paid - cleared 26th August 2020) Boiler Fund = £2500/£2500 (100% saved - 26th August 2021)Emergency fund = £0/£2000 | 3 months bills cover = £1500/£3600 (42% saved) | Mortgage  = £127352/£132,469.00 (3.86% paid)

• One-step-at-a-timeOne-step-at-a-time Forumite
    604 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    The single biggest thing was seizing control instead of letting things happen to me. Keeping detailed spreadsheets has been my single biggest motivator - I update them every month and keep six month progress snapshots. From the first to the most recent is like night and day (I'm a standard rate tax payer and have dealt with this without a DMP, I've cut expenses to the point that on average 35-40% of my net income goes to debt repayment).  Digging out of a hole this size and truly figuring out want vs. need has been all the self-esteem boost necessary.
    DEBT-FREE 27/08/21 £0/£50241.21
    Mortgage: £26,491.31 to go
  • AndyjfletAndyjflet Forumite
    411 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    My mindset changed once I had started to listen to Dave Ramsey and since then I haven't used a credit option anywhere, its not been easy as I'm moving money around but I'm more aware of what I can't do, and thats add to my debt. Ive struggled of late due to less pay as I was furloughed but I will get there.
    I'm now ready to snowball my credit card in my signature after paying off a carpet right 0% agreement, so I will have £145 a month going into the M&S Card below.
    I started dating in November so its harder to be focused but I've drip fed my situation to my partner and shes ok and understands what I'm doing. 
    Baby Step 1 - £5526 saved for emergency fund STORM MODE
    Baby Step 2
    Pay All your debt by Christmas 2022 Challenge - M&S Loan £7998.36 £7700 left 1.25%
    23 Posts
    The single biggest thing was seizing control instead of letting things happen to me. Keeping detailed spreadsheets has been my single biggest motivator - I update them every month and keep six month progress snapshots. From the first to the most recent is like night and day (I'm a standard rate tax payer and have dealt with this without a DMP, I've cut expenses to the point that on average 35-40% of my net income goes to debt repayment).  Digging out of a hole this size and truly figuring out want vs. need has been all the self-esteem boost necessary.
    Wow - what an achievement. And 35-40% is huge! I’m not able to do that much at the moment but I’m going to take another look at my spreadsheet to tonight and see how far off I am. Working out the difference between want and need - I’m figuring that out as I go, but it’s an eye opener... 
    thanks so much for sharing and a huge well done on all you’ve achieved 
     Debt = £8017/£8017 (100% paid - cleared 26th August 2020) Boiler Fund = £2500/£2500 (100% saved - 26th August 2021)Emergency fund = £0/£2000 | 3 months bills cover = £1500/£3600 (42% saved) | Mortgage  = £127352/£132,469.00 (3.86% paid)

23 Posts
    Andyjflet said:
    My mindset changed once I had started to listen to Dave Ramsey and since then I haven't used a credit option anywhere, its not been easy as I'm moving money around but I'm more aware of what I can't do, and thats add to my debt. Ive struggled of late due to less pay as I was furloughed but I will get there.
    I'm now ready to snowball my credit card in my signature after paying off a carpet right 0% agreement, so I will have £145 a month going into the M&S Card below.
    I started dating in November so its harder to be focused but I've drip fed my situation to my partner and shes ok and understands what I'm doing. 
    Hi, thanks for sharing this and huge congratulations on everything you’ve achieved so far. I can imagine it has been a knock being on furlough and having less income. I haven’t come across dave Ramsey but will have to look him up now! Great to hear that your new partner has been understanding, I’m also single right now and not sure how anyone will take to my current situation but it’s not something I’m focusing on at the moment!! Can’t think that far ahead!! Hope it keeps going ok with that m&s card, well done. 

23 Posts
    Hi everyone, I just wanted to come back here and share where I was at now I’m approaching a month of this original post. 

I really appreciate all your stories and comments, and the inspiration too. 

I’m feeling a little less rubbish about my debt. I’ve been able to lift my self-esteem a little. Being honest with myself has helped, and from there - I’ve been able to be honest with friends and say what I can/can’t do right now and for the foreseeable future. 

I’ve got a plan to pay things off and then re-start an emergency fund and I’m working on that steadily. 

I think something else that has helped is time - just letting my situation sink in and accepting ‘this is where I’m at. I can spend time wishing it was different, or I can spend time fixing it and moving on.’ 

I’m choosing the latter. 

Thanks so much for all your encouragement and support.