IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Help please. No PCN ever received but bailiff has been instructed 4 years on

Options
Hello, to my surprise I received a bailiff letter in the post this week. Apparently I was given a PCN back in 2016 and never paid up. They have advised a debt collection agency to contact me to now get from me £170. I never received a parking ticket, I don't ignore anything serious. I would have paid up at the time if it was recent, can't even remember that day now! This alleged offence was for using a private car park for longer than stated. I cannot appeal it as there is no PCN number in the 1st place. I am very angry and upset that no one contacted me but from what I learn online is that the company pretends to have sent it to you, can't access your details because they are only a private company and then wait it out until they can get a bailiff to track me down. The letter states it is not subject to bailiff law but the company can take me to court. I am upset as I don't want to come home to more scary letters even though my friends are telling me to ignore it. I have no proof of where I was at that time because I do not know anymore. I also am adamant nothing was sent as I have had that car and the same address for the four years since this alleged incident. Do I contact the company and ask for proof or do I contact the bailiff and say I'm not paying? I don't like ignoring these things as they could take me to court, at the same time although this is immoral, it is even legal? 

Comments

• Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 29 June 2020 at 8:11PM
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the forum ...

sadly like most people who are sucked into the underworld of private parking you have a lot to learn .....

have a read of the newbies thread/discussion

especially the bit about debt collectors.

"I don't want to come home to more scary letters even though my friends are telling me to ignore it."

you will get more letters .. I am even going to instruct my hamster to write to you .... funnily he has the same powers as a debt collectors :D

your friends are sort of right .... but would you believe mrs Miggings at the pie shop?  yes you ignore debt crawlers but be careful not to ignore court or LBC papers.

" Do I contact the company and ask for proof or do I contact the bailiff and say I'm not paying? I don't like ignoring these things as they could take me to court, at the same time although this is immoral, it is even legal? "

you will read in the link I gave that you never ever phone .. you never ever contact debt collectors. You will read about sending a SAR to the original PPC ..... to find out what they have on you and yes its sadly immoral, and legal

Ralph B)

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Didn't Post Four of the Newbies Sticky help you fully? - Its there because the last thing we need is yet another debt vulture thread!
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 29 June 2020 at 9:33PM
    Options
    You have not got a bailiff letter.  That said, DCBL Collections include their group's 'can't pay, we'll take it away' logo and that is misleading - and you can object to that of course.  But please wise up to what you have and haven't actually got there. 

You simply have a laughable debt collector letter to ignore.

Read post #4 of the NEWBIES thread and come back when you do get a court claim (but read post #2 of the NEWBIES thread as well, for details of the SAR you should email to the parking firm now, to get all the old letters & photos in readiness to defend and win).  

No asking for a link to the NEWBIES thread...please.  That's what my signature below is for.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • D_P_Dance
    D_P_Dance Posts: 11,503 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options

Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams, so consider complaining to your MP., it can cause the scammer extra costs and work, and in some cases, cancellation. 

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, many of whom are former clampers, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up,

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/of these Private Parking Companies.

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.

You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    One thing to consider, have you changed address since the alleged date and not updated the change with the dvla? (not just driving licence)
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback