PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

90% LTV during Covid

Options

Comments

• LittleNinja
    LittleNinja Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MysteryMe said:
    I would not make offers until you know what sort of mortgages are on offer.  You are only a credible buyer if you can proceed. It should not be a case of you being able to " get something" you want to be able to get a mortgage that best suits your needs. It's a major commitment so you need to consider all options.  Hopefully you wont have to wait too long. 
    Thanks for your advice. I'm getting some concerns about what our broker has been telling us! We were shown the best deal for us a month-ish ago and he would wait to produce the AIP as better rates were coming up all the time. He encouraged us to offer whilst he got our AIP sorted 
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,677 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you paying the broker a fee?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • LittleNinja
    Options
    GDB2222 said:
    No - we pay after the mortgage offer is in.... so I guess it in his interests to try and make this work 
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,677 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GDB2222 said:
    No - we pay after the mortgage offer is in.... so I guess it in his interests to try and make this work 
    Plus it's worth his while to try to hang on to you as clients by making promises ... Anyway, you'll know in the next few days. I read in the news that there's plenty of mortgage money around, looking for a safe home.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    GDB2222 said:
    GDB2222 said:
    Plus it's worth his while to try to hang on to you as clients by making promises ... Anyway, you'll know in the next few days. I read in the news that there's plenty of mortgage money around, looking for a safe home.
    Yes, that means much bigger deposits though.
  • Facknats
    Facknats Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hey, we have been looking at similar.
    Beyond HSBC & FirstDirect (owned by HSBC) there have not been very competitive rates for 90% LTV.. most lenders either charging a premium or pulled those products entirely.

This has meant HSBC were overwhelmed with applications. They have placed a limit on how many they can accept from brokers. I think FD are a bit picky too.

It sounds like your broker either thinks you don't fit the lender's criteria or don't think they can get you an application in. Unless you have any other iffy circumstances (furlough, self employment, credit blips) try applying directly for HSBC AIP, which is a soft search. We eventually had to book a telephone application as the online portal couldn't handle our application either.

• LittleNinja
    Options
    Facknats said:
    Hey, we have been looking at similar.
    Beyond HSBC & FirstDirect (owned by HSBC) there have not been very competitive rates for 90% LTV.. most lenders either charging a premium or pulled those products entirely.

This has meant HSBC were overwhelmed with applications. They have placed a limit on how many they can accept from brokers. I think FD are a bit picky too.

It sounds like your broker either thinks you don't fit the lender's criteria or don't think they can get you an application in. Unless you have any other iffy circumstances (furlough, self employment, credit blips) try applying directly for HSBC AIP, which is a soft search. We eventually had to book a telephone application as the online portal couldn't handle our application either.

Thanks for this - my partner are going to try for HSBC directly tomorrow if the broker cannot come up with anything.
  • Sammyd159
    Sammyd159 Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There are lenders doing 90% - I booked two of them this week
    Ooh can you tell me which ones please?  I sell new builds, would be useful to know.  Are the rates competitive?
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sammyd159 said:
    There are lenders doing 90% - I booked two of them this week
    Ooh can you tell me which ones please?  I sell new builds, would be useful to know.  Are the rates competitive?
    Unlikely now IMO, could be wrong though.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback