Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Neighbour demanding right of access over my property

My neighbours claim into have a right of access over my drive, however they do not need it as they have complete access to their house on their own land. They are telling me to stop parking my car on my own drive, yet they do not need pedestrian or vehicular access over my property. They have two "car-wide" entrances to their property and the area is way bigger than mine. Even if i filled my driveway with cars, they can totally access their own property by foot or vehicle at any time without obstruction. Every time i have a visitor parking on my drive, they text me telling me to ask them to move and keep clear 24/7! Where do I stand? 

Replies

• -taff-taff Forumite
    12.7K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WHat do your deeds say?
  • statorstator Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tell your neighbour to provide evidence so you can consult your lawyer.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • neilmclneilmcl Forumite
    18.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^This. Unless your neighbour can produce evidence to the contrary continue to park where you like on your drive.
  • edited 29 June 2020 at 10:41AM
    Alter_egoAlter_ego Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 June 2020 at 10:41AM
    neilmcl said:
    ^This. Unless your neighbour can produce evidence to the contrary continue to park where you like on your drive.
    Surely, what the neighbour produces is irrelevant. What counts is what's in your deeds as Taff said above.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • MoneySeeker1MoneySeeker1 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    BTW - I'd change your phone number if I were you - so the neighbour is unable to harass you like this.

• MoneySeeker1MoneySeeker1 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Wondering why the neighbour is doing this - when it doesn't seem logical.

When I've seen this happening before it's looked totally illogical as well - but I suspect it was down to them trying to stop the house-owner using their own garden as they pleased and they'd no longer feel they had the use of "extra land" (they weren't entitled to) and thus make their own house appear to be worth more than it really does. 

I guess that's the thing - if there's no apparent logical reason - then look for an illogical one.

• sharpe106sharpe106 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whatever the deeds say right of access is right of access, not the right to stop you using it.
  • TonyMMMTonyMMM Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You need to check both sets of deeds to see if any access rights are mentioned, and if so , under what terms.
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a difference between right of access over a property and the owner of said property not being able to use it for their own purposes.
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alter_ego said:
    neilmcl said:
    Surely, what the neighbour produces is irrelevant. What counts is what's in your deeds as Taff said above.
    Not always. Sometimes, a property's title documents are silent on a matter detailed in another's. If the neighbours deeds say they have a right of access over the OP's parking area, there could be a problem.
    Perhaps the 'illogical reason' is that the neighbour wants to be paid a sum of money to have an old right  of way in their deeds quashed?

NHS and Care Workers deserve better than blackmail.