Outside of Thailand where else in Asia

New Post Advanced Search

Outside of Thailand where else in Asia

25 replies 401 views
prenton01prenton01 Forumite
260 posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
✭✭
I have a holiday in Thailand for November booked. As it stands I'm hopeful of still going but say I can't where else in Asia would you you recommend for beaches and a bit of culture ??
Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email [email protected]

Replies

• parcivalparcival Forumite
    702 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Vietnam has a lot of history and a developing beach culture - We loved it when we went a few years ago.
    Could also try Sri Lanka.......
  • Voyager2002Voyager2002 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where does one begin? Sri Lanka is outstandingly good; so is Cambodia; so is Oman. I would also highly recommend Malaysia.
  • cymruchriscymruchris Forumite
    978 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    The east coast of west Malaysia is well worth considering around the Perhentian islands. Langkawi on the Thai/Malaysian border is also worth a look, it has a touristy side and a calm untouched side - so both sides of the coin within a short drive. Cebu in the Philippines has some very nice beaches, and a bustling town. Vietnam definitely has the culture. I lived in Malaysia for the last 6 years - was sorry to leave it and come back. 
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • DoshwasterDoshwaster Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    For culture and value for money, definitely Cambodia and/or Vietnam - both much cheaper than Thailand, with lots of history (not all of it pleasant) and some fantastic food.
    However, in terms of laid back beach holidays they probably  can't match Thailand but it all depends on what you are looking for. Both countries have seen a lot of inward investment in recent year which has had some benefits but have turned once undiscovered beach towns into overdeveloped tourist traps for the Russian and Chinese markets - but if you look enough there are still some gems to be found off the beaten track.

• MoneybearMoneybear Forumite
    63 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I really enjoyed visiting Vietnam (Ho chi minh city). I went on a Mekong Delta guided tour which was really enjoyable and well worth the money. I found Vietnam to be a lot cheaper than Thailand for food and drink. I did not plan to but we ended up visiting the War remnants museum which I thoroughly recommend if you visit HCMC. It was absolutely beautiful and I'm really glad I went there. 
  • edited 28 June at 11:06PM
    daveyjpdaveyjp Forumite
    9.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 June at 11:06PM
    Another vote for Malaysia.  A huge country with lots to offer. India is amazing, but sheer madness.  Sri Lanka less of an assault on the senses.
  • PompeyPetePompeyPete Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't simply be guided by the 'best' destination.....weather can be an important factor.  SE Asia is a huge blot on the world map, with massive variations in weather patterns, even in the same country.

https://www.selectiveasia.com/asia-holidays/weather/november

Have a look at the above link for an idea of what to expect month by month in each country.

• Voyager2002Voyager2002 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't simply be guided by the 'best' destination.....weather can be an important factor.  SE Asia is a huge blot on the world map, with massive variations in weather patterns, even in the same country.
    Indeed, and the OP asked about Asia, hence the recommendations for Sri Lanka and my mention of Oman. I suppose that even (most of) Turkey qualifies.
  • DoshwasterDoshwaster Forumite
    5.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Moneybear said:
    I really enjoyed visiting Vietnam (Ho chi minh city). I went on a Mekong Delta guided tour which was really enjoyable and well worth the money. I found Vietnam to be a lot cheaper than Thailand for food and drink. I did not plan to but we ended up visiting the War remnants museum which I thoroughly recommend if you visit HCMC. It was absolutely beautiful and I'm really glad I went there. 
    HCMC/Saigon is fun and a good base for the Mekong Delta but I think I prefer Hanoi
    HCMC is developing rapidly with skyscrapers popping up all over the place. In a few years it will be another Bangkok. Hanoi still retains an older feel with strong Chinese and French colonial influences and a cooler climate.

• PompeyPetePompeyPete Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Moneybear said:
    HCMC/Saigon is fun and a good base for the Mekong Delta but I think I prefer Hanoi
    HCMC is developing rapidly with skyscrapers popping up all over the place. In a few years it will be another Bangkok. Hanoi still retains an older feel with strong Chinese and French colonial influences and a cooler climate.

Last time I went to Hanoi I flew there from Bangkok early evening.  It was 35c in Bangkok, and 7c an hour later when we landed in Hanoi.  It was early February, when the north of Vietnam can be cold and damp, hence the warning about checking out climates for the time of year you intend visiting a particular destination.  3 years ago [September] I went to Hue for a few days, and the whole visit was spent in a Tropical Depression.   Then went a 100 or so miles south to Hoi An and had a beautiful week.

Bad weather is also responsible for a heck of lot of domestic flights being delayed and cancelled.

I prefer Hanoi to HCMC too.  As well as what you mentioned Dosh, HCMC is absolutely crammed with motorcycles 24/7, and simply getting to and from HCMC Airport is often gridlock.