Best phone for me?

bp5678
bp5678 Posts: 413 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 28 June 2020 at 1:42PM in Mobiles
I'm ideally looking for an iPhone however I won't rule out other smartphones. 

I'm looking for something durable that I can use for many years to come. Also with a battery life that'll stay healthy for many years too. Ideally I'd like to be using the phone for 4+ years. As I say, I'm leaning towards an iPhone but planned obsolescence worries me a tiny bit (if it's true).

My main requirement is for the phone to be easy to use. A good user experience is really important to me. I was using an iPhone 5S for many years and it was a nice and easy to use which was nice. I could type and use my phone with my eyes half closed while lying in bed half asleep. 

I then used a Samsung Galaxy S6 for a bit and hated it as it was the opposite of the iPhone 5S. It was really frustrating to use. I also didn't like the size/how the Samsung Galaxy S6 felt to hold while I liked the size and holding the iPhone 5S.

I don't really have a budget - I'll pay what I need to for something that meets my requirements however I do like value for money. I don't need all the fancy bells and whistles. As long as it's a newer phone than the likes of the iPhone 5S and Samsung Galaxy S6 then I am happy. 

Right now I'm on a SIM only contract that I've completed. I don't get a phone at the end of the contract - I just continue to pay my very low contract deal.

Which phone would you recommend?

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,055 Forumite
    edited 28 June 2020 at 2:06PM
    What size screen?
    The latest iPhone SE model is a good buy if you prefer the screen on the smaller side.
  • Highland76
    Highland76 Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Yep, the newer iPhone SE sounds perfect for the OP. The icing on the cake is that it will continue to receive iOS updates for at least 4-5 years unlike some Android handsets.
  • You could get a preowned 1st gen iPhone se as that would be the same size as the your old 5s. These are around £100 now from CEX and giffgaff etc.
    it has just been announced that this model will be getting IOS 14 in September so and will probably continue to get security updates beyond September 2021 so you should be good for 2 years. Then you can upgrade to the current SE which will be a lot cheaper and still on the latest IOS for a good few years more.
  • liggerz87
    liggerz87 Posts: 391 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Id say the new iPhone se and maybe the iPhone 7 
  • bp5678
    bp5678 Posts: 413 Forumite
    liggerz87 said:
    Thanks. What about the iPhone 8?
  • Highland76
    Highland76 Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    bp5678 said:
    liggerz87 said:
    Thanks. What about the iPhone 8?
    The iphone 8 is a decent phone but why would you want to pay £399 for one when an extra £29 gets you the iphone SE 2nd gen which is a far newer version of the 8? Just get the SE, £429 for a high end iphone is almost a bargain.
  • JohnDorian
    JohnDorian Posts: 97 Forumite
    edited 30 June 2020 at 6:07AM
    iPhone 8 was released in 2017. As Highland76 says, SE is £29 more, which is a bargain price for 3 years more worth of updates.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback