New Post Advanced Search

Water costs

6 replies 146 views
RobM99RobM99 Forumite
270 posts
100 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
✭✭
Hi all, just a quick query - a friend of mine lives alone and is considering a water meter.
My query is simply - for those of you that live alone, what was your before-meter cost per month, and what is your after-meter cost per month? Thanks!

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does depend upon supplier as prices vary .
    Me as your friend and tight user of water  . pre meter on RV current cost £650 PA  .Meter aprox £300 PA .
  • edited 28 June at 8:52PM
    CardewCardew Forumite
    28.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 June at 8:52PM
    RobM99 said:
    Hi all, just a quick query - a friend of mine lives alone and is considering a water meter.
    My query is simply - for those of you that live alone, what was your before-meter cost per month, and what is your after-meter cost per month? Thanks!
    That is the ultimate 'how long is a piece of string' question.
    The unmetered charges are based on the Rateable Value(RV) of the property and could be anything from, say, £100pa to £thousands.
    Measured charges depend, obviously, on the amount of water you use and the standing charges.
    Your friend can determine exactly his/her current annual bill by knowing their RV(shown on bill) and consulting the water company's schedule of charges..
    He/she can estimate his annual metered charges by using a figure of 55 cubic metres PA(the UK average) and consulting the same schedule of charges.
    The majority of single occupants will save by having a meter. However if they don't save they can revert* to being charged on their previous RV basis.
    * within 12 or 24 months - dependant on water company.

• RobM99RobM99 Forumite
    270 posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks, you have confirmed much of what I thought was correct. Yay!   :)
  • RobM99RobM99 Forumite
    270 posts
    ✭✭
    Update -  the lovely lady has done the calculation - nett saving £300 a year!  (Brownie points scored here  ;)    )
  • wild666wild666 Forumite
    425 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Before the meter £443 after £117 
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • RobM99RobM99 Forumite
    270 posts
    ✭✭
    wild666 said:
    Before the meter £443 after £111