Forum Home» Phones & TV» Broadband & Internet Access

BT contract and pricing = Concerning

New Post Advanced Search

BT contract and pricing = Concerning

4 replies 192 views

Just spent just under 1 hour speaking to the customer retention team-eventually agreed a 2 year contract. I was told £34.49 for fibre 1, BT TV with the sport option. However I've just checked and the price is actually £38.05 per month (factoring in the 3 month BT sport discount). This makes me think the staff themselves are confused by the pricing that they offer-I am inclined to think that it was a genuine mistake and nothing malicious. 

Out of interest I checked my confirmation e-mail from the previous contract I signed which was 18 months for the exact same package.

I know this thread is a bit 'wordy' though I have just cut and pasted the two contacts and the way that they selectively do the pricing is really odd-perhaps others can do the same? Just cut and paste the e-mail you got when you agreed the contract. For example on the first contract the internet and telephone were a very different price compared to the other as was BT Sport.

I feel that people that don't ask these questions and potentially more vulnerable people (i.e. older people) that don't threaten to leave at the end of each contract are effectively being punished for loyalty with price hikes.  

What can we do about it? I hope BT can reconsider their pricing model or they will lose customers.

24 month contract from 25th June 2020

=======================================

Ongoing charges

£0.00

BoxNation

£0.00

Large screen

Enjoy BT Sport on the big screen

£0.00

BT TV

Record up to 80 hours of Freeview programmes

£0.00

AMC Channel and On Demand

Access to AMC Channel and On Demand

£0.00

BT TV App Extra

The most flexible way to watch BT TV on the go.

£0.00

BoxNation

Enjoy the best of British boxing on BoxNation

£0.00

Sport

£15.00

Sport discount for 3 months

-£7.50

Broadband and Landline

£31.99

Special offer discount

Your special offer discount lasts for 24 months

-£8.00

Total ongoing charges

£31.49

================================

18 Month contract from January 2019

==================================

Ongoing charges for this order

BT TV - Essential subscription

£0.00

Watch catch up TV and pause, rewind and record Freeview

Classic

£10.00

AMC Channel and On Demand

£0.00

Access to AMC Channel and On Demand

Broadband and Calls

£52.49

Special offer discount

-£26.00

Your special offer discount lasts for 18 months

BT Sport Pack

£0.00

Total ongoing charges for this order

£36.49

==============================

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Confused yes
    also confused by BT pricing .
    Likewise all ISPs pricing structure and end of contract price rises .
    Its not older people who are confused judging by posts on this forum .
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    23.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BT prices confusing - never !
    My SIL insists on staying with BT.  Earlier this year her £26.99 ADSL contract ran out and she went up to an out of contract price of £32.99.  They offered a new contract for £34.99, increasing to £39.99 at the end of the 18 months - absolute bargain !
  • Shbin1Shbin1 Forumite
    1 posts
    Fourth Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I had an email on 22nd June from BT saying that my BT TV contract was coming to an end “soon”. The contract end dates have disappeared off new bill format conveniently and I foolishly took them at their word and rang up their accounts. They now wanted to charge £15 for BT Sport and £10 for BT TV so I said cancel both and they wanted to charge £21 cancellation fee! I asked when the contract was up, only to find it was 26th September. BT have redefined meaning of soon. I will wait til then to renegotiate or cancel. Doooo!
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Difficult   to soon. or other posters saying you never told me i was at or near contract end and now paying higher price .