Forced into a supplier and rate i didn’t sign up to

Options
  • I moved into a property on 8th July 2019 and tried to switch the Energy supplier. I thought the switch was successful as payments from the new supplier were being taken from my bank account during the period July19 to October19 inclusive.
  • Unknown to me the previous tenants suppliers (Enstroga) blocked the switch, meaning they were still supplying the energy to our property the whole time.
  • It wasn’t until I contacted Avro at the end of October 2019 (who I thought was now the supplier) that I found out about the block, at this point Avro refunded all monies paid back to me.
  • When I contacted Enstroga they advised that there were issues with the electricity meter reading that I had previously supplied and asked for photos of the meter, from my moving in date and current date which at the time was 4/11/2019 (both readings were supplied)
  • Enstroga then asked for further information – They wanted all my personal details so they could set up an account including my bank details for a DD – I gave my personal details but refused to give my bank details as we wanted to pay what was owed in full so we could switch to a more competitive supplier
  • There have been multiple emails and conversations exchanged, the latest being on 22/06/2020 where Enstroga have advised that there is still an issue with the electricity meter and that they cannot provide me with an accurate charge for the electricity used – This has been going on for several months, their comments below
    • “Based on the photos you have provided, we realized that we have not been provided (intra-industry communication) with the correct meter details for your electricity meter. As the current supplier of the property, we need to acquire the correct details and update the national database accordingly. Once we finalize this, we are not going to object to your supplier switch."
  • I am not confident that I am going to get an accurate bill for the electricity before my moving out date which is the 7th July 2020, this has been through no fault of my own, I don’t want this to pass onto the next tenants

I was wondering if I could be advised where I stand for the following points

• As Enstroga have not resolved the issue I have not been able to switch supplier therefore have been on rates which are not the most competitive, am I able to negotiate this with them given that I have never signed a contract with them?
  • Would lodging a complaint with the Ombudsman get me anywhere? 
  • I read in another thread that Enstroga have been banned from taking on new customers due to them not joining the DCC scheme, unsure if their ban has been lifted, but could this affect me?
  • Am I obliged to inform the letting agent and landlord of the issues so they can infirm the next tenants?

Comments

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 June 2020 at 11:09PM
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.  Sadly, the answers won't be what you want to hear.
    Unfortunately, the reality is that you have done all the wrong things and messed everything up big time.  There have been scores of similar threads; here are just a couple from the past few days.
    You should have registered with the existing supplier and sent them a meter reading as soon as you took possession.  Forget the Ombudsman, you'll just have to wait until they get the opening reading sent through.
    You'll have been on a Deemed Contract, and it will have been expensive.  Make sure you give them notice that you're leaving, send them a final reading and a forwarding address.You'll just have to make sure you learn from this and get it right next time.
    Sorry to be so blunt but you're clutching at straws, and if you remain in denial it will just get worse and end up with debt collectors and a trashed credit record (mortgage problems ahead?)
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As with most forums, I imagine you are waiting for the next guy to post with a different viewpoint...
    ... well, you are in for a long wait.
    Gerry is correct and just to make it even clearer, you didn't have to sign a contract with Enstroga, you willingly entered into a deemed contract with them the moment you turned on the first light or power switch in the new property...
    So do yourself a favour and complete the account setup routine, ask them to put you on the cheapest tariff they have without an exit penalty and make a note never to get caught like this again...

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As Enstroga have not resolved the issue I have not been able to switch supplier therefore have been on rates which are not the most competitive, am I able to negotiate this with them given that I have never signed a contract with them?
    Maybe.  But under the Gas Act and/or Electricity Act, in the absence of any other contract, you have a deemed contract with the existing supplier the moment you use any energy.
    Would lodging a complaint with the Ombudsman get me anywhere?

Have you followed Enstroga's complaints process yet? If not, then the ombudsman won't be interested.

I read in another thread that Enstroga have been banned from taking on new customers due to them not joining the DCC scheme, unsure if their ban has been lifted, but could this affect me?
    As a customer with a deemed contract, it's not really the same as signing you up as a new customer.  They were already supplying the property.
    Am I obliged to inform the letting agent and landlord of the issues so they can infirm the next tenants?
    You should tell them who the existing supplier is (who it really is, not who you wanted it to be).  Anything more is only likely to cause problems for you as you move out.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 June 2020 at 10:55AM
    Options
    This how it should be done

Read the meter(s) at your old place when you cease to be a tenant/owner (*not necessarily the day your move out) and inform your supplier to formally close the account (take photo's if possible). Then read the meter(s) on the day that you become responsible for the new place (*again not necessarily the day you move in) - take photo's if possible and immediately set up an account with the existing supplier at the new address (you automatically become their customer on a deemed contract when you move in and don't want to end up pay the previous tenant's outstanding arrears).
    Once you've done that you are free to start the process of swapping suppliers. Doing anything else will just cause problems for you in the future.

*Note: if there's an overlap when you are still paying for both premises then you are still responsible for the energy and water rates until your tenancy contract ends or starts so make sure your readings are those on the first or last day of your contract.

Get into the habit of sending in readings once a month, checking bills once a month (even if you've got a smart meter) and make sure that the readings and bills are accurate - then most important, download a copy (PDF will do) and save them. The most important bills to save are the ones from your old supplier especially the final one together with proof that you've paid it and the first bill from your new place with your confirmed opening read.

IMO it's worthwhile saving copies of all your bills and readings for several years (just look at the grief that some people experience if a company decided to chase for outstanding bills and you haven't got your own records)

BTW if you check once a month then you find problems a lot quicker than when you only do it once a quarter, six month or never. It's then a lot easier to unravel and sort out
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • frederick1950
    Options
    Just the usual comedy of errors...
    what was that series with Michael Crawford....
    Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em .
  • Jak3W1ndr
    Options
    Ahh Ok all, thanks for advice.

Another quick one, who’s responsibility is it to inform tenants moving in of the precious suppliers? Our landlord told us different to Enstroga so was just wondering 
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Another quick one, who’s responsibility is it to inform tenants moving in of the precious suppliers? Our landlord told us different to Enstroga so was just wondering 
    Nobody really, the onus is on the new arrival to find out...
    It is very simple for the incoming tenant or new owner of any property to find out who their supplier really is...
    For gas:
    For electricity:

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Jak3W1ndr said:
    Ahh Ok all, thanks for advice.

The Landlord may not know - if a tenant changes the supplier and doesn't tell the LL then how would he know, especially if the new tenant moves in immediately the previous one moves out. Assuming that the old tenant closed his account on his last day then either the new tenant or the LL becomes responsible for the bill.

However problems can arise if you don't read your meters and set up the account on your first day. If the old tenant didn't give a final reading or close his account or there's been a gap between tenants - it's the next tenant that gets the bill for all the outstanding charges. It's then very difficult to establish who was responsible for what. As there aren't any actual meter readings the supplier will try and guess what they were and will  then apportion charges. Therefore,if you are the current tenant who didn't do it properly, you will probably end up paying towards some else's energy and at the suppliers most expensive deemed rate and there's not a lot you can do about it.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Always take a photo of the opening reading as soon as possible, same day, after you receive the keys to a new property. Alternatively, keep a spreadsheet of weekly meter readings, I read my meter every Sunday evening before I go to bed. If there are any discrepancies you can always refer back to those readings.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • Jak3W1ndr
    Options
    Ok thank you all for the advice, first time sorting own bills so has all been a learning curve! 

I’ve just served Enstroga our notice to terminate the contract! And will pay off the full bill when I receive a final bill for the period I resided in the property.

They replied to the email saying that I should inform the next tenants of their details as they will be required to go into contract with them until this meter information is provided to them. Makes me wonder how long they’ll be waiting for this information, surely this isn’t fair on future tenants as Enstroga have been a far from pleasant experience for me! How long does this intra-industry communication take?!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback