Forum Home» Over 50s Money Saving

85 year old with £2000 free money

New Post Advanced Search

85 year old with £2000 free money

11 replies 873 views
robtirobti Forumite
183 posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
Hi my mother sold her car and has enough free cash Floating about, so where would you recommend to put some of her money, she has no savings accounts, only current account with TSB ?
 Thanks 

Replies

• testertrevtestertrev Forumite
    83 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Premium bonds?
  • edited 23 June at 3:19PM
    missilemissile Forumite
    10.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 June at 3:19PM
    She can upgrade her current account to Classic Plus account to generate 1.5% interest on first £1500, then open a second account to generate 1.5% on the balance. She would need to set up a standing order to move £500 from one account to the other and another to move it back each month. Easy to do online.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • robtirobti Forumite
    183 posts
    Premium bonds?
    Took me all of my time to get her to buy some a few years back, but can try again
  • robtirobti Forumite
    183 posts
    missile said:
    She can upgrade her current account to Classic Plus account to generate 1.5% interest on first £1500, then open a second account to generate 1.5% on the balance. She would need to set up a standing order to move £500 from one account to the other and another to move it back each month. Easy to do online.
    So I have her in that account so she just opens another of the same account with no problems ?
  • missilemissile Forumite
    10.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It works for me. There may be more other options but your mother may feel comfortable sticking with a bank she knows and trusts
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • robtirobti Forumite
    183 posts
    missile said:
    It works for me. There may be more other options but your mother may feel comfortable sticking with a bank she knows and trusts
    Yes you know her 🙂, tried a few times for the bank switch but no she has been with them for ever and won’t change, so will try opening an another account in her name
  • Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    6.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is the money better spent on the house/flat where she lives ?    Improved shower room perhaps ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • robtirobti Forumite
    183 posts
    Robin9 said:
    Is the money better spent on the house/flat where she lives ?    Improved shower room perhaps ?
    Sorry lives in a council property and has a few thousand squirrelled away here and there but only like her to have a couple of hundred in cash so this is to be put somewhere out of the house
  • BobQBobQ Forumite
    11.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Eighth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NS&I is paying 0.9% now which is about the best savings account around.
    I agree that at 85 she might be better buying something that improves her quality of life. Too many go to their grave  cash rich but not enjoying their surroundings. I do not see your point. So she lives in a council house but if she needs better facilities I doubt the council will object.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    583 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    If I were her I'd buy myself some lovely new furniture, new clothes, new soft furnishings, jewellery etc., and make my home a comfortable little palace. And if I felt up to it I'd also treat myself to a lovely holiday (bearing all the coronavirus cautions in mind, of course). In short, I'd spoil myself to death. I'd spend, spend, spend. What's the point of saving oodles of money when you are 85? Don't get me wrong, I'm not much younger than your mum myself but I thoroughly intend to spend as much of my cash as I can before I go anywhere. I'm going to be spending my kids' inheritance and I recommend your mum does the same. Selfish? No. Deserved? Well.