Forum Home» Sports and Fitness MoneySaving

Opening pubs before gyms makes ZERO sense.

New Post Advanced Search

Opening pubs before gyms makes ZERO sense.

25 replies 950 views
On the news this morning, it said pubs are going to open before Gyms. Can someone please explain to me the sense in that? Surely the pubs should be the last to open..
Going to the gym / leisure centre promotes are more healthy lifestyle.

Replies

• RyanHelloRyanHello Forumite
    174 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    zx81 said:
    It's because in pubs people tend to sit in the one spot, rather than move chair every four minutes over a one hour period.  

There's also less dispersal of bodily fluids in pubs, although that's perhaps not true of Wetherspoons.
    What a load of rubbish. Gyms and leisure centres can social distance much more effectively than a pub. My local gym has machines further apart, lots of hand sanitisers everywhere and has their own "track an trace" system by knowing how many are in the GYM at any given time.

Opening the pubs before a place that keeps you healthy and fit is an absolutely ridiculous decision. 
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    23.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RyanHello said:
    zx81 said:
    It's because in pubs people tend to sit in the one spot, rather than move chair every four minutes over a one hour period.  

There's also less dispersal of bodily fluids in pubs, although that's perhaps not true of Wetherspoons.
    What a load of rubbish. Gyms and leisure centres can social distance much more effectively than a pub. My local gym has machines further apart, lots of hand sanitisers everywhere and has their own "track an trace" system by knowing how many are in the GYM at any given time.

Opening the pubs before a place that keeps you healthy and fit is an absolutely ridiculous decision. 
    It very much depends on the individual settings.
    Parent's gym is not a traditional gym but is one where people (many older ones) do circuits on the resistance  machines, changing every few minutes.
    I go to circuit training in a leisure centre where we use equipment rather than machines. 
    And there is an awful lot more running past each other huffing and puffing and potentially spraying germs all over the place, 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    47.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I go to a small local gym , there's definitely no room to effectively distance from other people . 

And then you have the idiots who will refuse to wear masks if required , wipe down machines and who like to accompany each exertion needlessly with an assortment of "Huff's" and weird noises. 
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Barny1979Barny1979 Forumite
    6.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pubs bring more to the economy than gyms. Simple as that.
    2013 - 313 AFDs, 2014 - 289 AFDs, 2015 - 321 AFDs, 2016 - 276 AFDs, 2017 - 276 AFDs, 2018 - 240 AFDs 2019 - 285 AFDs 2020 - 159 AFDs to end of July
    MFW Challenge 2019 - £1809/£1809, 2020 - £1768.10/£1750
  • edited 23 June at 3:05PM
    jon81ukjon81uk Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 23 June at 3:05PM
    RyanHello said:
    On the news this morning, it said pubs are going to open before Gyms. Can someone please explain to me the sense in that? Surely the pubs should be the last to open..

I think at the momnent pubs that are opening will be required to use waited service, therefore you sit in one place and drinks come to you then the glasses go in the dishwasher. At the gym I may use eight pieces of equipment and I'm heavily breathing, a lot more cleaning will be needed and there is a lot more movement.

Once pubs open as normal with bar service and everyone packed into a small space then things are different and I expect by that point gyms will be allowed to open.
  • TheShapeTheShape Forumite
    1.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't be difficult for me to clean down a Bench at the gym after I've used it but if I have to clean down every barbell, every dumbell and every single weight plate that I've touched in the gym before anyone else can use any of those items, it's going to be a pain.  There simply aren't enough dumbells and plates for each gym user to have a personal supply for the length of their workout.

I also do plenty of the huffing, puffing and weird noises in the gym.  It can be damned hard work, especially if lifting with maximum effort.
  • edited 24 June at 8:18AM
    zx81zx81 Forumite
    29K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 June at 8:18AM
    RyanHello said:
    zx81 said:

What a load of rubbish. 

Clearly not.

Have you ever actually been in a gym before?
  • Neil49Neil49 Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    RyanHello said:

There is no way that I am returning to my local gym for the foreseeable future.

Even before anyone had heard of Covid it was too cramped with all the equipment they had put in and you had to manoeuvre around equipment to get from one end to the other. There is one shared shower area in the changing room which cannot be modified for social distancing in any way.

Put me in a pub any day! 
  • Novice_investor101Novice_investor101 Forumite
    598 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Cashback Cashier Energy Saving Champion
    ✭✭
    I use puregym & they would be well set up to track & trace with their electronic entrances. 
    I’m disappointed it’s not opening soon. I think my gym would be possible to maintain distancing & having sprays & wipes on hand to clean down before & after use of each piece of equipment could work. 

Admittedly, I lift free weights at home & use the cardio machines & spin class most at the gym. So cleaning a set of dumbbells & plates wasn’t on my mind. 

The video training sessions on the PureGym app have been great, especially considering they’ve not been collecting any money whilst closed