New Post Advanced Search

British Gas boiler cover scam

6 replies 142 views
I had British Gas dual fuel contract for year 19/20 through MSE energy club because it offered free boiler cover for 12 months. the transfer from EDF was seamless, and I duly received cashback from MSE. At the end of the contract, (April 20), I used MSE again for comparison, and opted for BG again because the tariffs were very good, and once again it offered 12 months free boiler cover. the new contract was duly set up.
At the end of May this year, a letter from BG arrived informing me that because I had previously benefited from free boiler cover they had cancelled my current free cover.
Apparently there is a clause in the T+Cs in my previous cover docs which I should have read twelve months ago, stating that customers can only benefit from free cover ONCE in every three years!!!
There was no mention of this during the recent renewal process, and the boiler cover was cancelled long after the 14 day cooling off period when had I known the cover was invalid may well not have chosen BG for a second time.
Typical of big energy companies offering freebies which you are not entitled to because you are possibly not strictly a new customer.

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is OIl LPG board .
  • edited 22 June at 6:08PM
    HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 June at 6:08PM
    JJ_Egan said:
    This is OIl LPG board .
    Why do new posters usually post with scam in the heading. The OP admits to not reading the T&Cs?  so it must be a scam.

Sorry Op. You applied for a product that you were not entitled to, if you had indeed read the T&Cs at the time you would have known this. So would not say you have been "scammed"

And also did not read this is the Oil, LPG and solid fuels board? LOL :)

Edit: Op if I remember correctly, your free cover comes with a £99 or so ?? charge per part! on every "free" callout. So perhaps not the best deal?

The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • greatcrestedgreatcrested Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    These are introductory offers, as was obviousy clearly exlained in the T&Cs which you read.
    You did, of course, as with any contract, read the T&Cs?
    If I include a blue link in my post, click and read it before posting a follow-up question. The answer may be in the link.

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    102.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently there is a clause in the T+Cs in my previous cover docs which I should have read twelve months ago, stating that customers can only benefit from free cover ONCE in every three years!!!

I'm not sure why you are indicating that is incredulous.  It seems entirely reasonable.

Typical of big energy companies offering freebies which you are not entitled to because you are possibly not strictly a new customer.

No more typical than someone calling it a scam because they failed to read what they were buying.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • barney1603barney1603 Forumite
    1 posts
    Tenth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I got roped into this Home & Boiler Cover insurance contract. It rolled over from an energy deal I took. What is driving me mad is that you can't cancel it. They don't answer the phone and the chat link on the website also does not work. I might have to send them a letter by mail if all else fails. It feels like they have deliberately made it hard to cancel. 
  • edited 22 July at 5:33PM
    HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 July at 5:33PM
    I got roped into this Home & Boiler Cover insurance contract. It rolled over from an energy deal I took. What is driving me mad is that you can't cancel it. They don't answer the phone and the chat link on the website also does not work. I might have to send them a letter by mail if all else fails. It feels like they have deliberately made it hard to cancel. 

OP this thread is a month old and was posted by an other new OP in the wrong part of the Forum. About their "free boiler cover"
    Sorry! But the etiquette on MSE forums is firstly not to hijack other posters threads and also to post in the correct forum?
    As pointed out this is the OIL and LPG board. Perhaps posting in the ENERGY forum will get you better advice? Click on the ENERGY link. Not the small blue subfolders.
    So I suggest you post there. Advice will probably be you have free cover as you state, that you do not want?
    And you obviously read the T&Cs before accepting cover. So why cancel, just do not use it? 
    Perhaps your new post in the ENERGY forum will be clearer?
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon