SMETS2 - Smart Meter Models Recommended? and Switching between suppliers

Options
BigBlueSky
BigBlueSky Posts: 621 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
I am aware that some of the SMETS1 meters were terrible and fiddly to take a manual meter reading.

Are the SMETS2 ones a lot better? - Are some make/models of meter better than others ?  I'm thinking of going for one but also shopping around for energy tariffs so the make/model being fitted by different suppliers may be a consideration too.

Also, once you have a SMETS2 meter installed is switching supplier on a regular basis straight forward - do the meters get updated quickly and easily without any issues ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,618 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My dad had a SMETS2 fitted when he was with EON. Switched to Scottish Power & it has stopped working 
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,616 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    https://www.smartme.co.uk/technical.html#gsc.tab=0

Have a look on here -a couple of pages down there are two tables - one showing the make&model no of SMETS2 meters and a second showing the same for SMETS 1 which are intended to be enrolled. You may need to trawl through manufacturer's literature to find out what they look like and in general you dont' get a choice when they get installed. You could ask your supplier or DNO what they use but I suspect it's not going to be easy to find out until the man arrives on your doorstep.

I'm guessing that unlike SMETS1 where the supplier was virtually tied into his data collection system which predicated a specific meter,  SMETS 2 meters are supposed to be interchangeable which would enable him to procure and fit whatever he wants or whatever is in the stores.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • BigBlueSky
    Options
    My dad had a SMETS2 fitted when he was with EON. Switched to Scottish Power & it has stopped working 
    I was under the impression that the whole point of switches with SMETS2 meters were that they should be smooth and trouble free ? - Just wondering if this is the norm or more of a one-off.
  • BigBlueSky
    Options
    https://www.smartme.co.uk/technical.html#gsc.tab=0

Have a look on here -a couple of pages down there are two tables - one showing the make&model no of SMETS2 meters and a second showing the same for SMETS 1 which are intended to be enrolled. You may need to trawl through manufacturer's literature to find out what they look like and in general you dont' get a choice when they get installed. You could ask your supplier or DNO what they use but I suspect it's not going to be easy to find out until the man arrives on your doorstep.
    Thanks - That is useful to know.  I will ask around and see.
    If we have gas/electricity with two separate companies does that mean we have two separate IHD's ? - Or with the new SMETS2 meters, do would we just have the one ?
  • Highland76
    Highland76 Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I had smets2 meters installed through E.ON last Dec and I've just moved to EDF - they continue to work in full smart mode with EDF. I'll post some pictures later on.
  • BigBlueSky
    Options
    I had smets2 meters installed through E.ON last Dec and I've just moved to EDF - they continue to work in full smart mode with EDF. I'll post some pictures later on.
    Thanks - That would be great :)
  • Highland76
    Highland76 Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    These are my smets2 meters installed by E.ON last Dec and which continue to work flawlessly with EDF:

• BigBlueSky
    Options
    Thanks - That electricity one especially looks to have a nice easy to read display.
  • Petriix
    Petriix Posts: 2,075 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have a particular reason for getting a smart meter? If not then don't. Every time someone fits a smart meter a fairy dies we all pay for it through our bills. There's zero benefit to you unless you want a specific tariff that requires a smart meter (such as Octopus Go or Agile).
  • BigBlueSky
    Options
    Petriix said:
    Do you have a particular reason for getting a smart meter? If not then don't. Every time someone fits a smart meter a fairy dies we all pay for it through our bills. There's zero benefit to you unless you want a specific tariff that requires a smart meter (such as Octopus Go or Agile).
    It was mainly for two separate family members.  One has their meters tucked away in an awkward position (very hard to get to), and the other is elderly and has to have a meter reader visit every so often to read (which they are not that keen on).
    It would be much better if the readings were taken automatically.  Although if there is a problem and they need to be manually read it would be good if the display on the actual smart meter was reasonably easy to read (unlike some of the SMETS1 meters which I believe had a very small display and not too clear).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback