Zero standing charge electricity plan needed

Options
rolstherat
rolstherat Posts: 184 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Hi all. My mums Ebico zero Green v3 tariff is coming to an end. It has no standing charge. Her outhouse has a separate electricity supply and uses about £2 A YEAR. Ebico Zero Green V5 now has a minimum bill of circa £52. I cant seem to find another supplier apart from a prepayment meter with Utilita but that will take a while
Alternatively, can she combine the electricity with her house does anyone know?

Cheers all

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There aren't many suppliers that do them without standing charges now as for the average user it oftens tends to work out cheaper with a standing charge and a lower unit rate rather than one painfully high electricity rate.

Need to speak to the supplier to see if they can combine the two accounts, assuming the house is with the same supplier.
  • stewie_griffin
    stewie_griffin Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The OP hasn't mentioned gas at all. There are 2 electricity meters.
  • rolstherat
    Options
    Hi. My mums may house with gas and elec with another supplier. This separate point i put in Ebico as even with the high rate, just a light cost next to nothing. But they are stopping that now and don't want to pay a daily standing charge just for a light.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A quick check on CEC shows only Ebico .
    There are a number of other comparisons worth a try .
  • bondquest007
    Options
    I just got a call from Ebico about my lock-up garage, they're scrapping zero standing charge tariffs. I'm in the same position, where it's got it's own separate meter, but there is hardly any energy use throughout the year. On checking, I can't find any suppliers without a standing charge, so it looks like either biting the bullet and paying a standing charge for the privilege of them reading the meter and supplying the electricity (both of which for that garage I suspect is £0 each year), or being cut-off, and using a torch.

I'll be monitoring this thread, so if anyone does find a standing charge free supplier please let us know. 
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 June 2020 at 12:59PM
    Options
    ... or being cut-off, and using a torch.
    It's probably not quite as simple as being 'cut-off'.
    If you stay with Ebico they will have to put you on a tariff of some kind and you will end up paying the standing charge.
    If you no longer want the power supply and want to avoid standing charges you are going to have to contact your DNO and ask them to remove the meter completely.
    The price for that will vary, but if the meter is in the name of someone on the 'Priority Services' Register then mention that when arranging the removel as that may reduce or eliminate the cost.
  • rolstherat
    Options
    I just got a call from Ebico about my lock-up garage, they're scrapping zero standing charge tariffs. I'm in the same position, where it's got it's own separate meter, but there is hardly any energy use throughout the year. On checking, I can't find any suppliers without a standing charge, so it looks like either biting the bullet and paying a standing charge for the privilege of them reading the meter and supplying the electricity (both of which for that garage I suspect is £0 each year), or being cut-off, and using a torch.

I'll be monitoring this thread, so if anyone does find a standing charge free supplier please let us know. 
    Must be coming off the same tariff. Annoying
  • rolstherat
    Options
    MWT said:
    ... or being cut-off, and using a torch.
    It's probably not quite as simple as being 'cut-off'.
    If you stay with Ebico they will have to put you on a tariff of some kind and you will end up paying the standing charge.
    If you no longer want the power supply and want to avoid standing charges you are going to have to contact your DNO and ask them to remove the meter completely.
    The price for that will vary, but if the meter is in the name of someone on the 'Priority Services' Register then mention that when arranging the removel as that may reduce or eliminate the cost.
    Ebico's new tariff whilst has no standing charge has a minimum annual billing amount of £52 I think. so much more than the yearly bill at present. I need to find the tariff with he lowest standing charge.
    Any suggestions??
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    For my annex I have just moved from Ebico to Eon which has a Daily Standing charge of 8.65 pence and reasonable charges for gas/electricity
  • rolstherat
    Options
    Cardew said:
    For my annex I have just moved from Ebico to Eon which has a Daily Standing charge of 8.65 pence and reasonable charges for gas/electricity
    What tariff is that please? Tia
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure