Forum Home» Phones & TV

Cancel TV licence to save £160

New Post Advanced Search

Cancel TV licence to save £160

33 replies 988 views
jimmylau8080jimmylau8080 Forumite
9 posts
Sixth Anniversary First Post
Recently, I got a 15% pay cut. I need to cut some of the daily expenses.

I seldom watch TV. I only watch stuff from YouTube or download Movie online. I doubt I need a TV licence and plan to cancel it. I can save around £160.

Is there anything I need to aware.

Replies

• Neil49Neil49 Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Everything you need to know is available here 

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/tv-licence/

• Mickey666Mickey666 Forumite
    712 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Just be prepared to received threatening letters from TVL, but as long as you're not watching ANY live TV or BBC iplayer programmes then you're not doing anything wrong by not having a TV licence. 
    Best way to avoid TVL pestering is to just throw their letters into the bin without opening them ;)
  • p00hsticksp00hsticks Forumite
    8.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mickey666 said:
    Best way to avoid TVL pestering is to just throw their letters into the bin without opening them ;)
    in my experience you avoid the most hassle by simply telling them you don't need a licence

712 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    From TVL's own website:
    What happens if I tell you I don't need a TV Licence?

We will send you confirmation of your No Licence Needed declaration.

If you tell us you don’t need a licence, we may confirm this with a visit to your address. This is because when we visit and make contact, we find one in six people that tell us they don't need a TV Licence actually do need one. If you are not licensed, you risk prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000* plus any legal costs and/or compensation you may be ordered to pay.

*The maximum fine is £2,000 in Guernsey.

Basically, they start from a position of assuming everyone needs a licence and they are institutionally blind to any suggestions to the contrary.  Not their fault perhaps but the whole system is broken from start to finish.  I doubt it'll survive this decade. 

How many other examples are there where law abiding people have to make a declaration that about something otherwise they are assumed to be guilty? 

• pphillipspphillips Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    You need to unplug the cable from your TV to the aerial or satellite dish.
    You are not legally required to do the no licence needed form or renew it every 2 years but TV Licensing will harass you with threatening letters until you contact them. 
    712 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    pphillips said:

I've heard that before but I'm not convinced it's strictly correct.  After all, what does it actually prove?  A PC, tablet, smartphone can still POTENTIALLY receive live TV without an aerial plugged in.  Besides, since when has the CAPABILITY to do something been a crime?  We all have houses full of implements that give us the CAPABILITY to commit the most horrendous crimes but we don't have the police knocking on our doors to check we're still innocent do we?  I honestly don't know why we let TVL get away with it!
    The whole system is ludicrous.

• Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    How many other examples are there where law abiding people have to make a declaration that about something otherwise they are assumed to be guilty? 
    Car SORNing.
    712 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Fair point, though at least a SORN means you don't have to pay for car insurance as well as car tax so thre is some benefit to it.
    Still, car tax is almost as ludicrous as the TV licence and evasion could be eliminated at a stroke by just folding it into fuel duty.  But I digress.
  • pphillipspphillips Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey666 said:
    pphillips said:

I've heard that before but I'm not convinced it's strictly correct.  After all, what does it actually prove?  A PC, tablet, smartphone can still POTENTIALLY receive live TV without an aerial plugged in.  Besides, since when has the CAPABILITY to do something been a crime?  We all have houses full of implements that give us the CAPABILITY to commit the most horrendous crimes but we don't have the police knocking on our doors to check we're still innocent do we?  I honestly don't know why we let TVL get away with it!
    The whole system is ludicrous.

This is my understanding of the regulations but if I am wrong it would still be best to err on the side of caution seeing as watching live TV without a licence is a strict liability offence.
    712 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Yes, so if they catch you watching live TV without a licence then fair enough.  But to insinuate guilt just because an aerial is plugged in is plainly against any sense of natural justice.  This whole licence/regulations/law thing is no longer fit for purpose and needs reform ASAP.