🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Paypal Unauthorised Charges

Options
Not sure if anyone can offer any advice.  Over two days I had over £700 taken via my Paypal account from my credit card in unauthorised charges.  Someone purchased Playstation 4 vouchers from ShopTo.com.  The purchases were made in smaller amounts varying from £20 to £85 pounds.  As soon as I saw the charges I contacted Paypal to report the unauthorised activity.  They replied by saying that in their opinion the transactions were not unauthorised and the case was closed.  I have contacted them again four times to insist that I didn't make these payments and they are obviously fraud.  I've had a Paypal account for years and have never spent that much in a short space of time, never bought virtual gaming vouchers of multiple amounts...  I keep being told the same message and been told to contact the supplier if I'm unhappy with my purchase!!  Has anyone been in a similar situation?  I can't afford to have £700 sitting on my credit card and am desperate for help.  Thanks for reading!

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,994 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    @Benso100
    If you post in the below forum, people will be able to assist you as they deal with a lot of PayPal queries and issues.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/ebay-auctions-car-boot-jumble-sales
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have already posted a reply to your original post on the other thread.
  • Benso100
    Benso100 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I have already posted a reply to your original post on the other thread.
    Thank you.  Have seen that now.  I've changed my password again and nothing is coming up when I run a virus check.  I can't think of anyone who would do this that I know.  If it had been a sneaky £20 or so I perhaps would consider it but not such a huge amount and I don't know anyone who is into gaming or has a Playstation.  Thank you for your reply.  I've put a call into my credit card company who have asked me to complete a dispute form.
  • harsh_but_fair
    Options
    I know it must be distressing for you and it is a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse etc but I would suggest you put two Factor authentication on your PayPal account i.e. every time you log on you get a text message with an authentication code
  • Benso100
    Benso100 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I know it must be distressing for you and it is a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse etc but I would suggest you put two Factor authentication on your PayPal account i.e. every time you log on you get a text message with an authentication code
    Thank you ... I didn't actually know that was possible.  I'll have a look at that now.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Have you contacted the credit card company?
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Report it as fraud to your card co. They will deal with it.
    Just hope it's not a family member....
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family