Text Scams Oxygen 8

Options
I found a £4.50 charge on my phone bill for a 'text received'.  I didn't even know they could do that. Turns out it's some random text I received, thought was suspicious, tried to report, couldn't, blocked and deleted.  
What I didn't know was that I had been charged almost my monthly bill for the privilege. 
I called 3 and they said that I needed to email a company called oxygen8 for a refund.  Well thanks! 
I did some research and found that the same company has been scamming people in the same way for at least 15 years. They even got a fine of £150, 000 in 2007.  Not sure why but I can guess. 
Why can't these companies be forced to stop trading?  Is there some way consumers can force them out of business? 
If they were a high street trader, they would be in Wormwood Scrubs, but they seem to have been doing this for years and no one can stop them! 

Comments

• ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

You can ask your phone network provider to bar all premium rate calls or texts from being made from your phone.

Simply contact your provider and ask them to set this bar for your phone number. 

job done for the future

• heleng9
    heleng9 Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had this issue. The company that was responsible was called SB7 limited. I got every penny back. They are truly despicable 
  • flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    Have I missed something here? Can I receive a text, unsolicited, to my mobile that costs me £4.50 (or any other amount)?
  • heleng9
    Options
    Unfortunately, yes. It’s disgraceful. Have you been charged through your mobile phone bill?
  • flaneurs_lobster
    Options

You can ask your phone network provider to bar all premium rate calls or texts from being made from your phone.

Simply contact your provider and ask them to set this bar for your phone number. 

job done for the future

I understand that I can block these calls and/or texts from being made from my phone. What I was not aware of was that I can receive a text, unsolicited, that will cost me money. Have I got this right?
  • heleng9
    Options
    Yes you can block the number but if you have been charged through your mobile phone bill, you will need to reply STOP to that text then start the process of claiming that money back
  • flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    heleng9 said:
    Yes you can block the number but if you have been charged through your mobile phone bill, you will need to reply STOP to that text then start the process of claiming that money back
    Thanks for the heads-up. I've changed the settings on my account to not allow premium rate texts to be sent OR received (and the provider has acknowledged the change by text, natch).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback