New Post Advanced Search

Focussing on today

edited 13 June at 7:59AM in How much have you saved?
8 replies 105 views
bestlifenowbestlifenow Forumite
261 posts
Third Anniversary 100 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
✭✭
edited 13 June at 7:59AM in How much have you saved?
Hi, I feel that I need a new focus to help me cope with these strange times. I'm driving myself a bit mad trying to make plans and set goals for the future when everything's so uncertain. I also feel like I've lost a lot of confidence during the past few months and now I'm stuck in a circle of fed up with everything but too scared to make any big changes to make it better. So from today, I'm just going to focus on making it better today. Well, that's the plan, but old habits die hard, so hoping this diary will keep me focussed.  :)

So, every day I want to do something (anything!) to feel better about
My health, fitness, appearance - now.
Work - now and in the future.
Home - being comfortable where I am for now.
Finances - short term goals for the time being.

bln x

July 2020 Make £5 a day £0/£155
1DV100days £774/£3244

Replies

• Skint_yet_AgainSkint_yet_Again Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi bln good to see you back 🤗
    I think all we can do is take it a day at a time at the moment. I understand how you feel. Everything has changed and been turned upside down and on its head and it’s an anxious & worrying time for many. 

Looking after yourself and having small achievable goals is a good way to plan and build your confidence. You can do it ! We are all here to support each other  😊
    0% credit card £1360 ~ paid in full
    0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE :)
    Emergency fund £1000 now 51 and saving for retirement !
  • savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    15K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello petal welcome back!!!! It think the short term goals thing is great. That's all I do. Even if it is one thing a day it makes us feel productive. Stay strong ok. hugs, swx
    Trying to be frugal 18/31Jan; 15/29 Feb 26/31 March 23/30 April 18/31 May 20/300 Jun NSDs.
    Saving change in money box.
  • bestlifenowbestlifenow Forumite
    261 posts
    ✭✭
    Hi both, thanks for the welcome back  :)
    Yesterday's small steps were:
    My health, fitness, appearance - went for a walk (30 minutes), took vitamins. Also ate too much, especially biscuits!
    Work - did some work on an assignment for my course. I am so far behind!
    Home - did some general tidying and cleaning, nothing major, just to keep on top of things.
    Finances - updated budget to re-focus me.
    I need to keep off R1ghtmove, I don't like where I live, but I don't want to make a bad decision - I really need to see how things pan out with work and family matters over the next few months, as well as everything else that's happening. I need to stop looking at beautiful properties I can't afford in places I can't afford!
    I managed to turn the news off at lunchtime yesterday. I did check online later, but I think too much news is another thing that's not helping me at the moment as, being alone, it's difficult to switch off from it. 
    Here's to focussing on having a good day today  :)
    bln

1DV100days £774/£3244

4.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have had a bit of an obsession with the news too. At one point I was watching breakfast news then over to BBC news at 10am on Bbc2 then 1pm news then 3pm onwards for daily update until 6pm news 😳. The last time I watched that much news was when my ex-OH was out in Iraq during the 2nd war clearing mines. 😱 I started to recognise it was too much & now I just switch on at 5pm to see if anything has changed in the daily update & sometimes I even fall asleep during that 😆

Dont dwell on the biscuits, at least you got out for a walk. I think it’s sensible to wait before looking at moving, non of us know how things are going to pan out in the next few months. Keep on with the positives whilst acknowledging the negatives is a good way to go in my opinion 😊

15K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im just watching at 7pm and 10pm but often fall asleep!!! Glad you are out walking, I am not. There isn't much to see by me I don't think. lol. Im just tidying or doing work. lol .
    Trying to be frugal 18/31Jan; 15/29 Feb 26/31 March 23/30 April 18/31 May 20/300 Jun NSDs.
  • edited 30 June at 5:40PM
    bestlifenowbestlifenow Forumite
    261 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 30 June at 5:40PM
    I really must get into the habit of actually writing on this diary. I do come on here with good intentions and then start reading other people's diaries, and suddenly it's bed time. Actually, reading some other diaries has re-motivated me to keep a closer eye on things. I am saving, but it's whatever's left at the end of the month instead of any particular intentions. I've spent £539 this month, without going out! To be fair, I have bought some soft furnishings to try and make things a bit more comfortable here, and also stocked up on some make-up, toiletries and health type stuff that will last me probably a year, so it's not all bad. But, still, I wasn't adding it up as I went along which I think would have slowed me down a bit. Fresh start from tomorrow  :)

1DV100days £774/£3244

15K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello my credit card bill is that high too at least we are buying things we are going to use. Maybe this month you could write out your income, deduct your bills see what's left and apportion some of it for food, fun and then save a fixed portion if that is possible? 
    4.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi bln my spending has gone a bit haywire too and I’ve got a large gas & electric bill to pay. I’ve got to get a grip too this month so I can get back on track with savings.