Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe» Debt Free Diaries

Young and naive mistakes - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Young and naive mistakes

34 replies 1.9K views

Replies

• edited 13 July at 9:26PM
    ApricotPlutoApricotPluto Forumite
    58 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 13 July at 9:26PM
    Thanks @Bizzywizard :smile: Definately got determination at the moment to do it.

Its been a month today since I started the diary.

Debt start - £6369.68
    Debt now - £5540.31
    Paid off - £829.37 (13%)

Quite chuffed with that! I know not every month will be that successful as I have sold a few things. However - with having a second job now I'll be able to pay off as much as possible each month. 

Quiet few weeks really. Just working and cleaning up at home. Trying to get my running mojo back that I lost at the beginning of lockdown after all my upcoming races got cancelled. 
    Debt Free Journey
    April 2020 - £8180
    October 2020 - £4350 
    Debt free date - August 2021 🙏
  • ApricotPlutoApricotPluto Forumite
    58 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Successful few days really. So I'll be doing 3 nights at my part time job which is what I'm happy with.

Someone gifted my their Tefal Actifry as they dont use it and I said mine had broken! Couldnt believe it - tried offering money but they refused.

Went to get my hair cut today - think the last time it was cut was 2 years ago.. I get anxiety going to the hairdressers as I never know what to ask for - plus I dye my own hair and don't want them trying to tell me to have it done at a hair dressers instead. I also don't do the small talk or looking at myself in a mirror for 30 minutes... 😂 Anyway, he asked how I heard about them as he said he'd not seen me before. Said that I saw they did an NHS offer before - so I thought I'd book in at the same place that I saw that being done. At the end he gave me the wash, cut and blow dry for free. Tried to give him money but he refused so I gave him a tip instead. 🥰

So saved myself a bit of money over the days - however did treat myself to a biscoff doughnut... 🥴
    Debt Free Journey
    April 2020 - £8180
    October 2020 - £4350 
    58 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Bit of a spend-y weekend but was totally expected. Booked my Eurostar for Disneyland Paris and some birthday gifts.

Need to try and have a cheap week as possible tbh.. Not much planned and what I do have planned is free with no further costs :smile: Really enjoying the whole keeping track of money and seeing where I am spending it. Definately spent a lot lot less this month on unneccessary objects. The odd bottle of coke everyday at work added up to £20+ a month same if I was popping to shop for a few things. Still surprises me how quickly the little purchases add up.

I've got a few big things coming up - pay off the rest of Disney (thats £400 at end of August) car service and tax (Around £350 in September), I need to re-new my passport too (£75 as soon as really) Luckily got it all sorted really for the big purchases. Just carry on chipping away at the debts.
    Debt Free Journey
    April 2020 - £8180
    October 2020 - £4350 
  • LidLickerLidLicker Forumite
    33 posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    You are doing really well compared to where you were. Keep it up!
    Just dont get carried away with holidays and feeling the need to go away. I need a holiday too, havent been away for a couple of years and before that I was a keen and frequesnt traveller, however just trying to look after the pennies at the moment, especially during the COVID issues!
    58 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    LidLicker said:
    You are doing really well compared to where you were. Keep it up!
    Just dont get carried away with holidays and feeling the need to go away. I need a holiday too, havent been away for a couple of years and before that I was a keen and frequesnt traveller, however just trying to look after the pennies at the moment, especially during the COVID issues!
    Thanks @LidLicker :smile:

It was booked back last year as a treat for me and my partner as we only go away once a year and thats usually a UK holiday somewhere so thought we'd treat ourselves to DLP. My hobbies are on a pause at the moment to the pandemic so I've saved a lot over the few months. Plus at the time I wasn't really watching my money to be honest. We've got food included so luckily no to little cost there psu got a 100 euro gift card too. With having the 2nd job now I can still luckily over pay by quite a bit on all my CC's.
    Debt Free Journey
    April 2020 - £8180
    October 2020 - £4350 
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    58 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Bit of a spendy week in the end..

Bought my passport using cashback I'd saved up so that was okay. 

Made some cakes/scones for seeing my mum yesterday didnt realise I needed eggs and milk so had to pop to shop to grab them. On way to my mums she wanted a few bits from the farm shop so I gaved and bought 2 cakes and a quiche.. Then we went out for food last night so that was nearly £20.

On the plus side the spending this week is nothing like it used to be. I would regularly - probably most days - go to a shop to get a snack and a bottle of pop or something, coffee most mornings, bottle of pop and a bag of crisps at work each day. I've stopped that and got out of that habit - so going to look at the positives. Just realised I am now thinking about every penny I want to spend and I'm thinking "Do I actually need this?" and a lot of the time its a no.

New week tomorrow. Payday on Friday so what money I have spare going to send it over to a credit card.
    Debt Free Journey
    April 2020 - £8180
    October 2020 - £4350 
    58 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Not really had much time to update this recently - and it shows slightly on my spending.

Last week spending - I didn't really spend much on me but bad habits came in - not preparing food so having to get a meal deal - that happened twice. Boyfriend didn't have any cash on him and a shop was cash only so luckily I carried it but meant a no spend day turned into a spend day due to lack of preparation. It was my brothers birthday so gave him a gift card - completely forgot until a couple days before - Really don't know where this year is going! I met up with my mum and niece so I bought them a coffee/ice cream as my mum bought the last round of food/drinks. 

Busy few weeks coming up as I've requested extra shifts at the restaurant so I can maximise my earnings. So I know I'll be working atleast 5 nights a week with this new Eat Out deal. Might be a bit of a tiring month but will be worth it to see my CC balances get lower. 

Outgoings this month - pay off the holiday - but I have that saved up already so no dipping into a CC or emergency fund. Also got my car service due - thats a little more expensive than I thought so I'll use the money I've earnt from the restaurant for that - saves dipping into my EF or savings. Apart from them there shouldn't be many out goings minus the usual stuff.

I reached around £1k paid off from 22nd June to the 31st July so absolutely chuffed with that. I know that isn't doable every month as I did sell a few things - but I'd be happy paying off anything over £650 a month. Worked it out that if I pay £650 a month I should reach debt free around June next year. However I know stuff gets in the way :smile:

Debt Free Journey
    April 2020 - £8180
    October 2020 - £4350 
    58 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    What a month.

We've cancelled Disney as no point paying all that money for half the experience. If I do Disney I want it in full. We've booked a week away in the UK - obviously a lot cheaper and will definately spend less whilst I'm away.

Had so many outgoings this month -
    Car service (£300 total as had to have a new puncture kit)
    My young cat needed her booster jab (£50)
    My older cat needed an urgent appointment and she's now on pain meds (£30)

Luckily have used the £300 from my Emergency fund and I need to my car tax too so I'll take that out of my EF.

So basically hardly sent any extra money over to my card - just paid the normal of £300 to one and £100 to the other. I haven't even actually looked at my accounts as much. So whilst I was watching the F1 this afternoon I've been sorting it all out to see where I am. Going to start a spending diary too - even though I've had big out goings this month luckily I've managed to keep the little ones down. :smile:
    Debt Free Journey
    April 2020 - £8180
    October 2020 - £4350 
  • edited 7 October at 9:42PM
    ApricotPlutoApricotPluto Forumite
    58 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 7 October at 9:42PM
    Bit of an update again.

After thinking August was bad... September was even worse.

My older cat got quite ill through the month. After medication, bloods, xray, ultrasound and a chest drain it was decided nothing else could be done for her and we put her to sleep on Sunday. Overall it cost me close to £1000 over the month - I don't think the insurance will pay out due to her having heart problems in the past and the Vet wasnt sure if it was heart failure or a mass in chest.. so just keeping my fingers crossed. Luckily a family member has helped pay a bit towards it as they knew I was struggling a bit with it all. Emotionally and money-wise.

Apart from that I've not had any other big outgoings really. I've managed to swap both of my cards to 0% for at least 12 months so that means no interest so I should be debt free this time by August/September next year if I carry on just with my regular payments to it. Hopefully manage to send some extra payments accross over the few months to bring the date forward.

Spending wise.. I'm definately not as bad as I used to be but have been "this and that-ing". On a plus side I've not been going to supermarkets/shops as much.. nor have I been getting food at work.. Its just some online shopping but I am thinking very hard about each purchase which I never used to do. :blush:
    Debt Free Journey
    April 2020 - £8180
    October 2020 - £4350 
    58 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Near monthly update...  :D

Every month since August I've had big things come out my account - which I have afforded (Or taken out my emergency fund) but just means I haven't been able to do any extra payments to my CC's. Its not putting a dampener on it all though. Still not spending as much as I was before. :neutral:

Hopefully over the next 2 weeks I can sort through stuff and see if there is anything I can sell.

Debt Free Journey
    April 2020 - £8180
    October 2020 - £4350