Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe» Debt Free Diaries

Young and naive mistakes - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Young and naive mistakes

34 replies 1.9K views

Replies

• ApricotPlutoApricotPluto Forumite
    58 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Bit of an update - well not really to be honest as bit of a dull week... Nice weather so tried to get out cycling more.

Managed to sell a few more things so thats another so much in the pot - I have about £350 for CC debt so I'll send that accross to one of them this week. Payday on Wednesday - Set up a standing order each week and that is my "spend money" for the week. I really don't think I'll be anywhere near the £50 a week at all - but it will include petrol for the weeks I need it. Even tempted to fill up each week on the Monday when the £50 goes in just in case in a few weeks time I need a bit more of the money. Makes sense in my head anyway... :D

I have got a couple of big outgoings in September (car tax + service) so going to do a pot for them and hopefully get as close to the amount as possible by just using my spare cash each week. 

See how it all goes anyway..
    Debt Free Journey
    April 2020 - £8180
    October 2020 - £4350 
    Debt free date - August 2021 🙏
    58 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Really struggling at the moment to try and sort out credit cards.

My 0% ends on my one card (Tesco) in a couple of weeks... and my other card in August (Barclaycard)

All the cards I'm eligable for are either really low credit limit or just not accepted. I've had to do a Fluid card (0% for 9 months) but I have a Tesco CC from a couple years back and I receive emails every 2 months saying '0% Balance transfer until June/July 2021' I can't figure out that if i BT my Barclaycard to the old Tesco one and then the new Tesco one to the Fluid. I'm just so confused by it all at the moment. Doesn't help it takes Tesco days to respond.  :|

Plus doesn't take much to confuse me either..   :D 
    Debt Free Journey
    April 2020 - £8180
    October 2020 - £4350 
    58 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Think I might have sorted my BT problem....🤞 but not sure yet... Anyway..

I've just rounded down by account balances so I've got 3200 on one account and 2850 on the other. I have got around £230 to put into them soon just waiting for all the eBay fees to go out then I'll send the funds accross.

Joined a couple of debt free challenges - Pay Debt off by Christmas (Put the £3268 account so a start atleast). going to try to make £5 a day and also have 15 no spend days. If I'm at work its easy! It just a struggle sometimes if someone asks me to pop to a shop to get them something and I end up picking a few things up for myself... Only so much I can do 🤷‍♀️

Debt Free Journey
    April 2020 - £8180
    October 2020 - £4350 
  • BizzywizardBizzywizard Forumite
    133 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Hi ApricotPluto,
    I'm a fan of 'pay your debt off by xmas 2020' challenge. I am rather addicted to it, if I am honest! It drives my DH mad!!!

I have just started doing surveys Prolific (but not made much) however Panelbase.net I am up to £10 in one week (this is my first week). This might be another way of paying your debt down or just using it as 'coffee money' if you need to go to the shops for a work friend. 
    Best of luck with your debt busting, you are doing really well.
    Bizzy

58 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Haha! I love Prolific - its been quite good recently. Hopefully continues - I know sometimes it goes a bit dry in the holidays.. Thanks! I think I tried Panelbase before but just couldnt do it along with the rest of the usual suspents - Swagbucks, InstaGC etc.

Having a bit of a mare tonight. I thought I sorted out the 0% card but nope. 🤯

I've managed to get the high % card split accross two but still about 1000 short.  I'm currently now looking at all my finances and thinking how the hell I can get it to as low as possible so I'm not paying as much interest. Genuinely think this has all come at such a bad time really as banks don't seem to be as giving. I think this is definately giving me a kick up the place where the sun doesn't shine. I've always come accross a BT card quite easily for the full amount...

I'm right in thinking that with my current Tesco card - if I have a card that says purchase 0% is ending (thats good as I've essentially got rid of the card) I will pay the 1.8% a month right? So the balance is currently £2800 I'll be paying £50 a month in interest? Or is that literally just on any extra purchases done from now on? It probably seems like a stupid question but Tesco have confused me by saying I can do a BT on that card up to July 2021 at 0%? 🥴
    Debt Free Journey
    April 2020 - £8180
    October 2020 - £4350 
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • enthusiasticsaverenthusiasticsaver Forumite, Board Guide
    11.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The balance transfer deals are not as available now, even before the virus and I don't see that changing. If Tesco say the 0% is ending on the whole balance then yes the interest will be about £50 a month if 1.8% per month interest. Are they saying there is a new deal available until July 2021 with Tesco for any BT going across to it? So you would need to transfer the BC to the Tesco new deal and transfer the £2800 to your new Fluid deal. Presumably you have asked if you can move the £2800 to the new deal? You are right to be confused and hope you get clarity from Tesco soon. 

This is why long term credit card debt is a nightmare with the constant BT you have to do to keep the 0% going. Realistically though are you going to clear the credit cards by next July or presumably March if Fluid only 9 months? If not that means more BT deals next year. 
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected]
    133 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Have you read Martin Lewis updated Credit Card section? TSB have a BT card but not on his eligibility checker. I am not saying you will get it, but worth looking at. I’m sure there will be others in google too.

My DH really struggled to get 0% cards last year, hence him transferring the debt to me.
    I also switched banks last year to use Nationwides interest free OD for one year (Flex direct account) this really helped me, but NOT a fan of overdrafts. 

Bizzy
    58 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Thanks both. Sorry took yesterday off trying to think about it all - really didnt sleep on Thursday night at all. I've tried that card but rejected. I really don't like overdrafts as part of my inital debt was from an overdraft so vowed to myself to never have one again - no matter what. 😂

Decided as I can't get a good enough BT I'll just live with the consequences until one comes along. Tbh its been the kick up the bum... I could have easily paid it all off from the last lot of BT's but I didn't. Stupidly spent more. 

I went through my finance sheet and decided to up my one payment to pretty much as much as I can. I've got £50 a week going to my Monzo account and that should more than cover me at the moment. I've currently had 3/4 no spend days and I've enjoyed sorting stuff out at home and just doing some 'me' time without the cost. Got a spend diary on my phone so I can see what I'm spending and where too. 
    Debt Free Journey
    April 2020 - £8180
    October 2020 - £4350 
    58 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Bit of a boring week again really... Weather isn't great so not done much at all. Started reading books again so less time to spend again.

However, I did look at my Monzo account so had £100 go in for far but only have £7.38 left.. I swear money just disappears sometimes. 🤣 I've looked at where. I owe my account £43.85 from the joint account, then I know I've spent £23.29 ( Only had two spend days this month pretty pleased with that!) and someone owes me £6 for stuff I got for them that equals £67.14 and then Chip have taken £8.36 automatic savings so yeah... Come to the conclusion money just disappears sometimes...  🤷‍♀️ Sorted it out anyway.

Trying to sell a few other things tomorrow that I just done use anymore. Also got myself a second part time job so I'm going to try and use all that money each week to just plough into my Tesco CC to pay it off soon as possible. Currently down to £2640 on that card. Got £300 going off it in the next few days and then an extra £260 too so that makes it it £2100 - might see if I can round that down to under £2000 by the end of the month.. Do-able. 

Debt Free Journey
    April 2020 - £8180
    October 2020 - £4350 
    133 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    You are doing really well!
    Keep up the good work. Every little bit you can pay off helps towards your debt busting goal!
    Chin up 😀
    Bizzy