New Post Advanced Search

Travel insurance quandary

10 replies 200 views
We recently bought a holiday to Canada in September 2020 paid my deposit then just before we were due to pay the final amount it was obviously cancelled due to the the pandemic, we rebooked for next year September 2021 leaving the deposit as it was £700 and the final payment is due next May 2021. I have a world wide travel insurance through the bank which was fine,I have just received my reminder about it for the next year it is due to renew for another year in July 2020 the problem that has arisen is my birthday is in June 14 this year which I will be 70 but on the paperwork I have just received it states the all aspects of the travel insurance will cease on my 71st birthday next year 2021 a month or so after I have paid the full amount towards the holiday. I am unsure what to do how if anything will I be covered ,should I take out new insurance it seems a real quandary any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• heatherw_01heatherw_01 Forumite, Board Guide
    6.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    This forum is just for posting holiday deals, will move it to a better forum for it

Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [email protected].
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • scotpathscotpath Forumite
    11 posts
    Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks very much
  • twopennytwopenny Forumite
    291 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Scot, you need to ring them and ask.
    I had a similar problem when I turned 70 (can't believe I said that. I'm not that old!) and on ringing they said it was ok if I was in good health which I was. Clear and clean so far. But each company may take a different point of view.
    If they don't like the idea then ask them what you should do. Make a note of the answer, thank them and ring a couple of other companies and see what they say and what they will cover.
    Be sure to check T&C;s to make sure it covers everything you need including any activities.
    Get the resulting conversation in writing/email so that it is confirmed. I find phoning the best result. Online chat seems to be outsourced, takes longer and they aren't in a position to bargain.
    Do this a goodly time before it's due for renewal so that you have bargaining time. I've got a lot of good deals because they know I have time to look elsewhere. Twice it was last minute and the price went sky high because they knew I was desperate.

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    27.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which bank is it?
    Generally speaking these bank accounts won't let you extend cover on their one fits all policies. Ask them to see - if they do allow an extension be prepared to pay a hefty premium.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    11 posts
    The insurance is through Bank of Scotland don’t know if they allow any extensions the policy was with them when I booked the holiday the first time and if I renew this time till it’s paid up next year it would still be under them. Many thanks
    11 posts
    Two penny thanks for your reply will do that ,do you know any good company’s that do insurance for us oldies,I might contact the travel company as well as I never realised the cut off was 71.
  • edited 11 June at 4:01PM
    NoodleDoodleManNoodleDoodleMan Forumite
    1.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 11 June at 4:01PM
    scotpath said:
    Two penny thanks for your reply will do that ,do you know any good company’s that do insurance for us oldies,I might contact the travel company as well as I never realised the cut off was 71.
    The Co-op Bank's Everyday Extra Reward account travel insurance offers cover until age 79 (day before 80th birthday) as part of the package deal. Monthly fee is £15 - AXA are the providers.
    Basic car breakdown cover by RAC, and mobile 'phone insurance included.
    If you have 4 Direct Debits there is a modest cashback reward which effectively reduces the fee - was £4, however soon the be reduced to £2.
    Happy to explain more if it would help.

27.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know for sure but Bank of Scotland is part of Lloyds banking group.
    The Platinum account with Lloyds covers you until your 80th birthday. Check to see if they all now have the same policy?
    27.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    scotpath said:
    Good news if you have a BoS Platinum account - you are covered until your 80th birthday just like the Lloyds bank account.
  • NoodleDoodleManNoodleDoodleMan Forumite
    1.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    scotpath said:
    Good news if you have a BoS Platinum account - you are covered until your 80th birthday just like the Lloyds bank account.
    Is it not £21 per month ?
    Co-op is £15 (and can be effectively reduced a few quid by the reward aspect) and both are through AXA.
    This is just an observation - you'd have to compare obviously.