We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Is banking with TSB a bad idea?

124»

Comments

  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 4 June at 12:58PM

    I wouldn't recommend TSB and it'll soon become Santander. If you want good telephone customer service you should consider First Direct but you might not like that it's a brand of HSBC. Another reasonable option would be Nationwide. Down to earth and still has lots of branches.

  • AlvyLad
    AlvyLad Posts: 60 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    Done and done (abandoning idea of TSB; openned (whole load of nonsese with ID etc), but NationWide account)

    Thanks!

    Once worked out, in a sense changed what's needed for in-out, DD's, etc will give it few months and will close Revolut, maybe even PostOffice ones after

  • subjecttocontract
    subjecttocontract Posts: 3,822 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    The only reason I had a TSB account was to take advantage of their 5% reg saver. I didn't find them good or bad just quite slow and very basic. I've just switched TSB to Barclays and won't miss them one bit.

  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 3,125 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    It's not going to make any difference to them, after all you could switch to any bank you like after your have got the loan.

  • AlvyLad
    AlvyLad Posts: 60 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 5 June at 9:51AM

    very basic is music to my ears!, I've just finished my application with them (TSB) too and will be deciding on one as "a keeper".

    in the sense of what I want (need), like/hate about banks is that "super smart pants" - ("(I) computer says no") … after all they are these days no more than accountants, that are easily replaced by apps etc, yet go in to overcomplicating themselves in what their function is meant to be.

    My, not necessarily smartest or objective choices to my future banking:

    *Will 100% keep NationWide - my intention to make it my main bank in few months time. EDIT: their branches have promise (in writing) to remain open until 2030, woohoo! 👍

    *(Just opened) TSB , if it'll be good enough for what I need, (biggest downside it becoming part of Santander)- "maybe" as an backup or something. EDIT: "live in the sticks" in the town, but normally do shopping banking etc in the "city" near by was certain amongst all "mainstream / big" banks to have seen TSB there- nope, closed👎

    *Revolut- will be closed, no sensible, just emotional "reason"… founded by some dodgy russians (I think, that's it behind my reluctance to use it more)…Lacks physical infrastructure, has all the features working well- better, than any other of them, yet IRL just an app. I still have my PayPal app etc AND Wise (really best for travel, other international payments/transactions)

    *PostOffice… I really am grateful for it being ONLY reasonable bank and to have "saved me" when I needed it, nothing really wrong with it… dunno why, but likely won't be used much and with emotional sadness, no practical reasoning… will be bidding farewell to. EDIT: plenty of branches about, including village/town high street cashier 😐 not too sure now If Nationwide or it, I'll keep as a main bank

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.