Not getting redundancie sacked if i don't go back to work

On 1st of June my boss phoned me and said I was out of  furlough and back to work for 15 days then back to furlough.  He said I didn't have to go that day but start on the second , as i known he's a low level human being i asked on next day for that request in writing , he told me he doesn't have to give me anything and that a verbal request is all he needs to give me. I told him i wouldn't work until i get the letter he told me he would fire me for absence of work. My question is can he call me back to work without giving me a written confirmation? I know he's lying about me being out of furlough but no one can confirm how to check. I've worked for the company for 14 years and  received a letter when i was firsr put on furlough.  Shouldn't i receive a signed letter from him saying I'm out of furlough?

Comments

• sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite

Why should you get a letter in advance to say you were out of furlough? A company can call you back to work when they want. No need for it to be in writing before you attend work. Although think with your attitude towards work and your bosses attitude I would be looking for other work anyway.

• AJMCS
    AJMCS Posts: 6
    First Post
    Forumite
    Thank you for your opinion i can see how this might sound from a different perspective, it's easy to say you can find another work in reality isn't that easy... I like what I do and where i work.  My attitude to work is that I'm most definitely on furlough and don't want to be working if not legit or taken for a fool. Are you saying my boss should just take advantage of me and i should just accept or leave with nothing?
    The reason I asked for a letter is because I know he would not expose himself in writing where at a later date I can denounce his fraud.
    I can't find a way to known now I'm on furlough or not and later he'll just deny.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,384
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I am amazed by this OP - perhaps there is something I missed.

Furlough is an exceptional case and you cannot work for the company while you are on furlough.  It is permitted for you to be on furlough, then return to work, then back on furlough.  If the company has two weeks' work to be done they need you back and have no need to request that in writing.  If you don't do the work, they need to find someone else to do the work.  Your normal contract still applies and that includes MoO (mutuality of obligation) so you are obliged to turn up and do work, the company is obliged to provide work and pay you for it.  If you refuse to do work, for whatever reason, then the disciplinary process could be invoked.

In the OP you say the boss is low level human being and then afterwards that you love your job and where you work, but you think there is fraud going on.  That level of distrust is not consistent with liking the job so much.  If there was fraud on the furlough claim, that would be a problem for the business and not you in any action, though i understand the personal integrity issue if you knew there was fraud going on.  Do you know, or do you only suspect?

Ultimately, yes, the boss is correct - you can return to work or face disciplinary process (could include dismissal).  BUT if the relationship is that bad, then you should probably be looking for another job anyway (except you like this job, which is odd in the circumstances).
  • sharpe106
    Forumite
    In both your posts you expect your boss to commit fraud so hardly a good working environment. If he commits fraud or not is not your problem. You just have to work to your contract if he claims for something he is not entitled to then that is not your fault.
  • AJMCS
    First Post
    Forumite
    I can see why the contradiction of liking the work/ place and having no trust in the boss  don't really go together . What i can say is that  my work environment is surrounded with great coworker, we get paid competitive rates and love the area, adding to that my commuting is super easy and enjoyable , but in exchange for all that we have to constantly put off with  overtime paid a month later and short because no matter how many times you remind him of the hours and to  nclude it in the next payday he always forgets.  Or  getting  holidays cancelled for stupid reasons if you can't or don't want to do overtime  and forced to take them next years in January. and ofcourse he his totally dishonest.
    So i guess you're probably right in your comments but it became a complicated relationship.
  • sharpe106
    Forumite
    Long as you are happy with it. But yes he can call you back whenever he wants no need for it to be in writing as the scheme is meant to be to protect jobs.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,384
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Agreed, if the boss want the OP back, then has to go and just on a verbal request.
    Overall, the OP is best to just go back, all things considered.  Enjoyable work and easy commute are valuable.
  • AJMCS
    First Post
    Forumite
    Sharpe106
    Thanks for clarifying that for me, it's a shame it isn't mandatory as it would prevent a lot of fraud ,  I just need to work on a different way to get him for using me in his tricks assuming he's doing it as it would be weird if he wasn't.

• JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,649
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    The second was a couple of days ago? Have you refused to go back into work? At the very least it means you are now on unpaid leave and at the worst dismissed. 
  • yellow1231231
    yellow1231231 Posts: 91
    Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 4 June 2020 at 10:19PM
    AJMCS said:
    Thank you for your opinion i can see how this might sound from a different perspective, it's easy to say you can find another work in reality isn't that easy... I like what I do and where i work.  My attitude to work is that I'm most definitely on furlough and don't want to be working if not legit or taken for a fool. Are you saying my boss should just take advantage of me and i should just accept or leave with nothing?
    The reason I asked for a letter is because I know he would not expose himself in writing where at a later date I can denounce his fraud.
    I can't find a way to known now I'm on furlough or not and later he'll just deny.
    your trying to take advantage of the furlough system and thus taxpayers
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure