Virgin Mobile: Shared a contact over SMS, got charged 50p for picture message, Eh?!

Arfa__
Arfa__ Posts: 584 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Just noticed an anomoly on my recent Virgin bill: got charged 50p for a a picture message I sent to my wife (always on Virgin). However, upon looking at my txt message history, the only message I sent on the given day, was contact I shared with my wife over SMS. A contact that only contained a name and a single mobile number...
What's going on here? Why is this classed as a Picture message, when it's only a name and number? Is my phone converting it to somekind of media data for no good reason? Is there any way I can prevent the sending of picture messages in the future? Where on earth on the Virgin website and account is there a link to actually get through to someone to query this charge with them?!

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Because when you send a contact, you send a file not just text
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    you sent by MMS not text
  • mrochester
    mrochester Posts: 1,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    This. If you share a contact from the list of contacts on your phone there’s a good chance you are sending what is known as a contact card, which is a file that contains all of the contacts details (name, number, email, address, notes etc). 

If you just copy and paste the name and phone number into a text that would be sent as an SMS. 
  • victsingh
    victsingh Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post
    This. If you share a contact from the list of contacts on your phone there’s a good chance you are sending what is known as a contact card, which is a file that contains all of the contacts details (name, number, email, address, notes etc). 

If you just copy and paste the name and phone number into a text that would be sent as an SMS. 
    Correct or there is a option to send text only on some phones. Good Luck!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback