LIfetime ISA - HMRC Verification Error

Options
I have tried opening a lifetime ISA with Nottingham BS. After I entered all my details, I was presented with "HMRC Verification Error, the investor details given do not match with HMRC's records." Does anybody know why this is?

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/digital-reporting-for-lifetime-isas#creating-a-lisa-investor-record

When an investor’s details do not match the data held by HMRC, the reason could be:

• HMRC holds a completely different set of details – a different identity
    • the National Insurance number being reported to the LISA service is not correct
    • the investor may have provided an invalid temporary National Insurance number. A temporary National Insurance starts with TN
    • the investor may have provided an invalid national insurance number from the Isle of Man that starts with MA
    • the investor may have changed their surname name and has not told HMRC
    • the investor’s surname with HMRC is spelled differently from the name given to their LISA provider
    • the investor may have made a mistake and has provided their LISA provider with incorrect details - these should be checked with investors first before the investor contact

[...]

The most common reasons for investor details not matching with HMRC’s data are:

• incorrectly spelt surnames
    • double-barrelled surnames
    • middle names and surnames are in the wrong order
    • an investor has applied for a LISA using a name that is different from their ‘known as’ name that HMRC uses in correspondence to the investor
  • epm-84
    epm-84 Posts: 2,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you registered for an online tax account: https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account

If you have one there's the option to print a page with your NI number and your name exactly how HMRC have it on record.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    or HMRC may hold a wrong date of birth. Registering for the tax account as per epm-84 is a good idea. If you're unable to register, this means it's most likely your personal details that are wrong/different with HMRC.
  • or HMRC may hold a wrong date of birth. Registering for the tax account as per epm-84 is a good idea. If you're unable to register, this means it's most likely your personal details that are wrong/different with HMRC.
    Thank you, I called them up this afternoon and it turns out they have my date of birth wrong in the system.
  • margaretx9
    margaretx9 Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    or HMRC may hold a wrong date of birth. Registering for the tax account as per epm-84 is a good idea. If you're unable to register, this means it's most likely your personal details that are wrong/different with HMRC.
    My mum had been receiving her state pension for a decade - and we rang up about a potential pension credit application as her circumstances had changed. They had her date of birth wrong by one day (presumably entered incorrectly by them) - and insisted we send a passport copy in to prove her date of birth.  I asked if she could get the extra day's pension back - they said no!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback