Forum Home» Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales

Ebay Scam, Error or Greatest Bargain Ever?

New Post Advanced Search

Ebay Scam, Error or Greatest Bargain Ever?

20 replies 569 views
RFWRFW Forumite
9.4K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
Garden Swing Set
At time of writing they've sold just under 200 at £15. RRP must be at least ten times that.

Replies

• BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    47K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hacked account , used to see it all the time with new dysons for £15 delivered
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    47K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • RFWRFW Forumite
    9.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Browntoa said:
    Hacked account , used to see it all the time with new dysons for £15 delivered
    It's amazing how they can get past 20 sales without Ebay getting it flagged up. I tried to report it but there isn't anything that it comes under. All the customers should get their money back and Ebay don't seem to care so I'll leave it.
    I wonder if any of the buyers think they have a chance of it turning up.

• avoidtheupsidedownbottlesavoidtheupsidedownbottles Forumite
    544 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    What do they do - just funnel payments to a foreign bank account?
  • theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    14.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do they do - just funnel payments to a foreign bank account?
    Quick hack, quick in and out.  No verification needed as the account would normally be in good standing I guess.  

I changed a bank account some months back and was told by PP that I needed to verify it with the £1 or more/less and xxxx digits.  I never did.  It works.  So who knows?
  • RFWRFW Forumite
    9.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is actually sold on Amazon for £74.99, it's sold by Amazon so that one isn't a scam, some terrible reviews though.
  • Spoonie_TurtleSpoonie_Turtle Forumite
    1K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    RFW said:
    This is actually sold on Amazon for £74.99, it's sold by Amazon so that one isn't a scam, some terrible reviews though.
    The point is not that these are not real products, the point is that they are making listings for 100s or 1000s at such an extremely low price without having any stock to actually sell. So buyers think it's a great bargain, send them the money, then eBay end up having to refund all the buyers and likely without being able to recover the money from the scammers. It's listing non-existent stock, not made-up products.
  • RFWRFW Forumite
    9.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    RFW said:
    The point is not that these are not real products, the point is that they are making listings for 100s or 1000s at such an extremely low price without having any stock to actually sell. So buyers think it's a great bargain, send them the money, then eBay end up having to refund all the buyers and likely without being able to recover the money from the scammers. It's listing non-existent stock, not made-up products.
    Quite, it's also easier to list existing products rather than make them up. Not that I made a point posting the Amazon link but it was more that the item is not as cheap as you'd expect. Given that they don't have the stock they could pick anything they like. I don't want anyone to lose money but if you think you're going to get an adult garden swing seat delivered for £15 and the seller has 200 you don't really deserve to hang on to your £15.
    £15 does seem to be the limit on these. I'm guessing that some scammer has worked out that higher prices get caught out sooner and that Ebay aren't too fussed about losing a few £15s.

• edited 2 June at 11:44PM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 2 June at 11:44PM
    Has a seller ever been held accountable in such instances, even if they have been completely innocent? I understand that both customers are refunded and a sellers account is not affected should there be a hack but how does one actually prove there was a hack and that it might not be a rogue seller that has got someone else onboard with authority to hack into their account? I dont understand how this works if PayPal have to constantly reimburse customers when this seems to be a daily occurrence. 
  • fred246fred246 Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have just bought an item that was ridiculously cheap on Amazon. Good feedback. Reputable company. I thought it was too good to be true but worth a go. When it arrived they had paid more to post it than I had paid for the whole item. They must have made some sort of mistake but still honoured it.