Forum Home» Budgeting & Bank Accounts

Lloyds Current Account - How to close? OK to close 6 months after switch incentive?

New Post Advanced Search

Lloyds Current Account - How to close? OK to close 6 months after switch incentive?

edited 2 June at 9:52AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
16 replies 346 views
darkovodarkovo Forumite
176 posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
edited 2 June at 9:52AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
Tried calling them, but always in a queue for ages, so thought I'd ask here...
Does anyone know what is required to close, I've had the current account for over 6 months now, after opening due to wanting the switch incentive last October. Is this long enough for them not wanting the incentive back (if that's such a thing)?
Thanks
--------------------
UPDATE: I called again and they have closed the account, so was able to do this over the phone without an issue.

Replies

• edited 1 June at 5:22PM
    colstencolsten Forumite
    13.9K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 June at 5:22PM
    Did the switch T&Cs specify a minimum period you need to hold the account for? If so, you would probably want to comply with it. If not, you can do as you like.

The easiest way to close a current account is to switch it using CASS.
  • darkovodarkovo Forumite
    176 posts
    colsten said:
    Did the switch T&Cs specify a minimum period you need to hold the account for? If so, you would probably want to comply with it. If not, you can do as you like.

I don't recall any minimum time period being mentioned, I'd normally have noted it. The only pdf I have saved is regarding the Switch service I used at the time, which doesn't mention incentives.
    I'm not looking to switch to a new account as yet.
  • colstencolsten Forumite
    13.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    darkovo said
    You asked how to close a Lloyds current account.

The answer is that the easiest way is to switch it using CASS. You can, of course, also wait until you are able to get an appointment in a Lloyds Branch again and then have them close it for you in your presence in Branch. Completely your choice,
  • EarthBoyEarthBoy Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    darkovo said:
    colsten said:

You don't have to switch to a new account. You can switch to an existing account instead.
  • harsh_but_fairharsh_but_fair Forumite
    140 posts
    100 Posts
    I have closed many a current account by logging onto my account (that I want to keep) and switching the account I want to close into that
  • YorkshireBoyYorkshireBoy Forumite
    31.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    darkovo said:
    colsten said:

I don't recall any minimum time period being mentioned, I'd normally have noted it. The only pdf I have saved is regarding the Switch service I used at the time, which doesn't mention incentives.
    The answer to your first question will be found in your account T&Cs, which are available on their website, in case you haven't saved those either...and you don't want to take the easy option already given above.
  • colstencolsten Forumite
    13.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apologies to the OP if I have wrongly assumed that they are already aware that you can use CASS to switch into an account that has existed for some time. 
  • penners324penners324 Forumite
    461 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    I opened a Lloyd's account for a switch incentive, it was switched and closed under CASS within a week 
  • darkovodarkovo Forumite
    176 posts
    I want to close the account, not open another one instead!! Why would I use CASS to create a new bank account, crazy talk!
  • Ed-1Ed-1 Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    darkovo said:
    I want to close the account, not open another one instead!! Why would I use CASS to create a new bank account, crazy talk!
    Why don't you switch it into your other bank account?