New Post Advanced Search

Car market

19 replies 511 views
sassy-onesassy-one Forumite
2.5K posts
Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
I'm guessing the car market is severely damaged regarding selling at present, I've had a vehicle that is 70% less than its retail value and it's just not selling, hardly getting timewasters, still getting them but not many.

MOT till next year too.

Is Ebay a better position, auction?

Replies

• SupersonosSupersonos Forumite
    661 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    If people aren't interested, then it's probably priced too high for what it is.  A car is only worth what someone will pay for it.
  • KattekwaadKattekwaad Forumite
    303 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Unless I had no option I wouldn't be selling just now, unless I was replacing it with something else at a steal.  
    Hi, BB had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • facadefacade Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It might be too cheap.
    30% of the price of comparable cars just looks suspicious, I'm surprised that no trader will take a chance though, it is write-off money, and presumably nothing wrong with it.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • jacko74jacko74 Forumite
    333 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I don't think the car market has even begun to feel the impact of Corona yet, it's still effectively in a period of stasis.
    There doesn't appear to be any buyers OR sellers out there and most car adverts have been in place since pre-lockdown.
  • cymruchriscymruchris Forumite
    788 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    sassy-one said:
    I'm guessing the car market is severely damaged regarding selling at present, I've had a vehicle that is 70% less than its retail value and it's just not selling, hardly getting timewasters, still getting them but not many.

MOT till next year too.

Is Ebay a better position, auction?
    When you say 'retail' - do you mean new price? What's your price compared to other models of the same age/spec and similar mileage? You're not saying you're selling it for 30 percent of the current market value?
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • edited 1 June at 6:19PM
    facadefacade Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 June at 6:19PM
    That's how I read it, and way too low is putting people off- they think there has to be something dodgy about a bargain @ 30% of its value.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • JonesyaJonesya Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    If you really are selling it for 70% less than retail, so only 30% of its retail price, then yes I'd imagine quite a few people would be asking, what's the catch? I guess because why would you sell it that cheap?

But then what's the retail price you are quoting, is it really that cheap, is it an averages you've based on a used car website for a comparable age, mileage, spec, history etc?
  • cymruchriscymruchris Forumite
    788 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    If it's 30 percent of current market value - I'll take it - whatever it is :)
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • sassy-onesassy-one Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies.

I initially had the car up for £1.7k which was around what the average ads, sales history on Ebay shows them going for and auto trader value.

No interest at all.
    Lowered to £1.3k. Cheapest within 80 miles.
    No interest. 

I've now had this car sat with me trying to sale for the last 2 months, without success.

Lowered the price a week ago to £1k, nothing. 
    £850. Nothing. 
    £750 and I had a few people message, what's wrong with it and silly questions like is there any scratches on it at all.
    Replying offered no other response from them.

I now have it at £500. Its recently had two new tyres and alloy wheel refurb, costing me over £200.

I'm at a lost now what to do
  • ididntgetwhereiamtodayididntgetwhereiamtoday Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Why can’t you keep it?
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com