edited 31 May 2020 at 10:31PM in Credit cards
48 replies 4.4K views

Replies

• SandtreeSandtree Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Alex9384 said:
    It's pretty pathetic that you can't pay tax or insurance with Amex.
    You cannot pay your taxes with any personal credit card because they can no longer charge you the 0.5% credit card fee so its money out of HMRCs pocket.
  • Alex9384Alex9384 Forumite
    702 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Sandtree said:
    You cannot pay your taxes with any personal credit card because they can no longer charge you the 0.5% credit card fee so its money out of HMRCs pocket.
    Hmm, what kind of taxes? I paid my vehicle tax in 2020 with my personal Barclaycard.

EPICA - the best symphonic metal band in the world !

• Alex9384 said:
    Sandtree said:
    Hmm, what kind of taxes? I paid my vehicle tax in 2020 with my personal Barclaycard.

That's not HMRC though ;) 
  • edited 19 February 2021 at 4:57PM
    dr_adidas01dr_adidas01 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 19 February 2021 at 4:57PM
    Alex9384 said:
    Sandtree said:

Usually when you have to fill in a self assessment it works out how much income tax  you owe HMRC. They no longer let you pay it by credit card because they can’t charge you the credit card fee that they have to pay. Of course this could change in the future since were are no longer members of the EU. 

If you have a curve card and pay a monthly or yearly fee for it then of course you can pay by credit card as they use something called Curve fronted which lets you pay your HMRC taxes or other credit cards with a credit card attached to your curve card. 
    Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both. :cool:
    702 Posts
    Forumite
    I was talking about taxes in general, did not mention HMRC specifically :)  Whether it's DVLA or local councils or HMRC, it's still pathetic. It's not like they have margins on a product they are selling you. They literally just take your money, yet they "can't afford" to accept Amex because of some 1% higher processing fee than other CC?

HMRC just takes this nonsense to the next level by not allowing any CC at all.

• SandtreeSandtree Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Alex9384 said:
    They do accept credit cards, business credit cards with an appropriate fee. Personal cards they dont as the government made it illegal to charge a fee.

0.5% isnt big until you are taking billions at which point thats many cancelled operations
  • msallenmsallen Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Alex9384 said:
    I was talking about taxes in general, did not mention HMRC specifically :)  Whether it's DVLA or local councils or HMRC, it's still pathetic. It's not like they have margins on a product they are selling you. They literally just take your money, yet they "can't afford" to accept Amex because of some 1% higher processing fee than other CC?

If 1% of your tax is such an irrelevant amount then I assume you'd be happy for all your taxes to up by 1% - obviously with the added benefit of being allowed to pay by credit card.
    ... or are you just talking drivel?
  • MDMDMDMD Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I buy all my supermarket shopping using discounted gift cards on a website that I get via work.

Unfortunately they don’t take Amex but I do get a 4% or 5% discount so works out better value to use my RBS Reward MasterCard for an extra 0.25% instead. I’ve had all the intro offers from Amex so can’t get any more than the standard rates.
    702 Posts
    Forumite
    msallen said:
    If 1% of your tax is such an irrelevant amount then I assume you'd be happy for all your taxes to up by 1% - obviously with the added benefit of being allowed to pay by credit card.
    ... or are you just talking drivel?

Oh, poor government. They need brave knights to defend their honour on the internet...
    Just in case you didn't know, it's MY money that govs want from me. They should be happy that they actually get any money from me, don't you think? They should allow all forms of payments, perhaps even in bitcoin (since they are happy to grab your capital gain tax even for that).