Business rates and approval from the Valuation Office Agency (VOA)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    vista99 said:
    Robin9 said:
    I'm doing some similar. for a building which missed the system altogether for some reason.The VOA has been quite quick, accepting a utility bill, copy lease, plans etc within a week. Council has advised me that they will be doing a site visit.
    Have your council approved your grant?
    Yes all was satisfactorily resolved 
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Airwolf1
    Airwolf1 Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    vista99 said:
    Unfortunately council refused grant. Although VOA approved split of the property from 01-02-20 but council says because application for split to VOA was after 11-03-20 therefore my application does not qualify for grant. 
    Go back to them. quote https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-if-youre-eligible-for-the-coronavirus-small-business-grant-fund in particular:

Eligibility

You’re eligible if your business:

Changes made to a business’s rateable value or rating assessment after 11 March 2020 will not affect eligibility.

Council's can still pay the grant up to 28 September for ongoing cases and it looks like yours is an ongoing case. 

My suggestion and/or advice is my own and it is up to you if you follow it, please check the advice given before acting on it.
  • vista99
    Options
    Robin9 said:
    vista99 said:
    Robin9 said:
    I'm doing some similar. for a building which missed the system altogether for some reason.The VOA has been quite quick, accepting a utility bill, copy lease, plans etc within a week. Council has advised me that they will be doing a site visit.
    Have your council approved your grant?
    Yes all was satisfactorily resolved 
    Thank you for your message. Did you applied for partition after 11-03-2020
  • vista99
    Options
    Airwolf1 said:
    vista99 said:
    Unfortunately council refused grant. Although VOA approved split of the property from 01-02-20 but council says because application for split to VOA was after 11-03-20 therefore my application does not qualify for grant. 
    Go back to them. quote https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-if-youre-eligible-for-the-coronavirus-small-business-grant-fund in particular:

Eligibility

You’re eligible if your business:

Changes made to a business’s rateable value or rating assessment after 11 March 2020 will not affect eligibility.

Council's can still pay the grant up to 28 September for ongoing cases and it looks like yours is an ongoing case. 

Thank you for your message. "Changes made to a business’s rateable value or rating assessment after 11 March 2020 will not affect eligibility." What it does mean. I think that council interpreted as "if change is made after 11 March 2020 then ratepayer is not eligible"
    I applied on after 11 March 2020 but it was w.e.f. 01-02-2020.

Kind Regards

• Airwolf1
    Airwolf1 Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It may be open to interpretation, but I would hope it means that you would be considered, as your effective date was 1 Feb 2020.
    My suggestion and/or advice is my own and it is up to you if you follow it, please check the advice given before acting on it.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Councils do have discretion in these matters . The payment was automatic and did not have to be claimed. I contacted my council in June when I realised something was not right - I was passed from department to department and eventually went to the top. My situation was a bit odd but at the end of the day the council produced back dated rates bills and that triggered the automatic payment.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure