Business rates and approval from the Valuation Office Agency (VOA)

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,090 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I'm doing some similar. for a building which missed the system altogether for some reason.The VOA has been quite quick, accepting a utility bill, copy lease, plans etc within a week. Council has advised me that they will be doing a site visit.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    vista99 said:
    I am filling the form of Valuation Authority office for Challenge your valuation. There is following question
    Smaller proposer? Yes or No
    What does it mean. I have small business and no employee. Should I select Yes or No?
    Airwolf, have you any idea what this means? As I left the VOA many years ago, this is all new to me
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Airwolf1
    Airwolf1 Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    vista99 said:
    I am filling the form of Valuation Authority office for Challenge your valuation. There is following question
    Smaller proposer? Yes or No
    What does it mean. I have small business and no employee. Should I select Yes or No?
    Airwolf, have you any idea what this means? As I left the VOA many years ago, this is all new to me
    He would be a smaller proposer, but by reading all this it seems he hasn't yet submitted a Check. My previous note suggests what documents to add to the Check which he can upload on the VO's portal. I can't see the issue with this, from the VO's perspective it is a straight forward 1 into 2 split. He, as the occupier, can submit the Check. It isn't 100% if this has been done (he refers to a challenge but not check).
    My suggestion and/or advice is my own and it is up to you if you follow it, please check the advice given before acting on it.
  • Airwolf1
    I think this link contains all the relevant info that is required (as a ratepayer): - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-check-your-rateable-value-is-correct#how-to-submit-a-check-online
    My suggestion and/or advice is my own and it is up to you if you follow it, please check the advice given before acting on it.
  • vista99
    vista99 Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Airwolf1. Thank you for your help. I actually submitted check on 15th June but did not get any response yet(other than Check acknowledgement). Can you please advise me if anything I can do to expediate the process. I an really thankful to you and lincroft1710 for help. Kind Regards
  • Airwolf1
    vista99 said:
    Airwolf1. Thank you for your help. I actually submitted check on 15th June but did not get any response yet(other than Check acknowledgement). Can you please advise me if anything I can do to expediate the process. I an really thankful to you and lincroft1710 for help. Kind Regards
    Hi. If you have submitted the Check and received the acknowledgement, I suggest you wait a few days now. If you provided enough relevant information which I think I mentioned in a previous post, the VO should have enough information to do the split of the property from the desk (i.e., without having to go out to visit) which should save some time. Hang fire a few days if you can and keep us posted.
  • vista99
    Airwolf1. Thank you for your help. I will update here if I got any response. Kind Regards 
  • vista99
    lincroft1710 , Airwolf1. Did not get any response yet(other than Check acknowledgement). Can you please advise me if anything I can do to expediate the process. I am really thankful to you for your help. Kind Regards
  • Airwolf1
    To be honest I think it would generally take close to a month for them to look at it. I guess they may be a tad understaffed at present. It does say on their website though: "If you’ve submitted a check on your property and are suffering from financial hardship, you should tell the VOA. The information that you provide may allow them to prioritise your case. You can do this by emailing ccaservice@voa.gsi.gov.uk" so if this applies, you could may be take this course of action.
  • vista99
    Airwolf1, Thank you for your help. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills