IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Speeding roadside FPN issued with missing information

Options
Hello,
I was stopped by two police officers during lockdown on a public road in Scotland during the covid lockdown while I was driving. I was questioned on my reasons for being out of the house before being asked to produce my driving licence which I did. I was then told I was speeding and given an on the spot Fixed Penalty Notice printed ticket for £100 fine and 3 points and sent on my way.

Later that day, when I got home, I looked at the FPN that I was issued and I believe it's been filled out incorrectly by the issuing officers as the aledged recorded speed is omitted from the ticket, "Driving at ... mph in a 30 mph speed limit (BUA)". The FPN noticed was produced using an iPhone or similar mobile device and printed at the road side.

I am posting here looking for advice on if you think this ticket is enforceable? Am I able to request further information and/or evidence from the police before making a decision on whether to accept the FPN or not? As it looks like the issuing officer missed filling out a box on the iPhone app when generating the ticket, is it likely the police will have other evidence of the recorded speed? (For example, does the radar gun used keep a history of captured speed?)

In an ideal situation, I don't want to go to court nor pay the legal fees of a solicitor for a £100 fine, but I feel accepting the FPN in its current incorrect state is unfair. I similar would like to see the evidence, if any, of the alleged recorded speed showing that I was travelling at greater than 30 mph.

I have attached the FPN issued with missing information.

Thanks,
Fraser.

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Were you speeding?
    You ought to have questioned it at the time of the offence.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • The_Slithy_Tove
    The_Slithy_Tove Posts: 4,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You don't get to see evidence unless you are going to plead Not Guilty. That's the way it works, and could get expensive.

Anyway, best place to go is not here, but take it to Pepipoo.com's Speeding and other Criminal Offences forum, where there is far better expertise on this.
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Theyre on pepipoo, and its been pointed out that either they accept the F{N, or go to court, get found guilty anyway - as they have n defence - and pay more and possibly get more points. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback