SORN car parked in alleyway?

Conrad3000
Conrad3000 Posts: 143 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Hi all. There's a SORN car parked in an alley/gulley way of some sort. I know if the area is the responsibility of the Council, then it shouldn't really be there. The alleyway is fairly large; cars can come and go through it if they wish, albeit a bit if a tight squeeze.
So should the car be reported?

Thanks.

Comments

• Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It depends what you mean by "responsibility". The test is whether the road is repairable at public expense.
  • Conrad3000
    Car_54 said:
    It depends what you mean by "responsibility". The test is whether the road is repairable at public expense.
    Workmen have been working in the alleyway as and when they need to. I'm assuming they were contracted by the Council. They wore helmets, luminous jackets etc.. 
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Car_54 said:
    Workmen have been working in the alleyway as and when they need to. I'm assuming they were contracted by the Council. They wore helmets, luminous jackets etc.. 
    Its not like everyone in construction wear a bit of PPE...
  • Car_54
    Strange assumption. You need to contact the council and ask them. If they do maintain the road, then report the vehicle to DVLA.
  • Conrad3000
    Car_54 said:
    Strange assumption. You need to contact the council and ask them. If they do maintain the road, then report the vehicle to DVLA.
    If the alleyway wasn't the responsibility of the Council, why would there be workmen in that part of the area? 

And on a side note, there's a couple of streetlights there too. So I think it's safe to say the alley is the Council's responsibility and therefore the SORN car shouldn't be there.
  • Car_54
    1. What makes you think the workmen were employed by the council?
    2. Plenty of private roads have streetlights. I used to live on one.
    3. If you're so confident, why not just report it to the DVLA? What's the worst that could happen?
  • TooManyPoints
    TooManyPoints Posts: 1,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I think the SORN legislation states that the vehicle must not be kept or used on a "public road." I think the "road" bit is quite critical because SORN'd vehicles can, apparently, be left in public car parks. They may fall foul of local by-laws controlling the car park but they do not contravene the SORN legislation. So, is the "alleyway" a road?
  • Car_54
    I think the SORN legislation states that the vehicle must not be kept or used on a "public road." I think the "road" bit is quite critical because SORN'd vehicles can, apparently, be left in public car parks. They may fall foul of local by-laws controlling the car park but they do not contravene the SORN legislation. So, is the "alleyway" a road?
    The OP says "cars can come and go through it if they wish" so it seems to be a road.

• Stratus
    Stratus Posts: 254 Forumite
    Our local authority has an online facility for reporting abandoned vehicles. You could report to your LA. They'll soon let you know if the alleyway is not part of the public highway.
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Car_54 said:
    If the alleyway wasn't the responsibility of the Council, why would there be workmen in that part of the area? 

And on a side note, there's a couple of streetlights there too. So I think it's safe to say the alley is the Council's responsibility and therefore the SORN car shouldn't be there.
    I know a lot of workmen that work in a lot of palces. None of them work for the council.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback