Missing Weber BBQ Accessory

New Post Advanced Search

Missing Weber BBQ Accessory

22 replies 594 views
StevoH_2StevoH_2 Forumite
6 posts
Ninth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Hi,

I purchased a Weber GBS Mastertouch BBQ from Blacks online store on 13 May 20.

I paid via debit card. Following a lot of hassle due to the first one being lost in transit and the replacement item missing it’s original delivery, it finally arrived today, 27 May 20.

After I assembled I had an inkling something was missing and checked the original product description which read: “Includes: GBS cast iron sear grate”.
https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/351408-weber-mastertouch-gbs-charcoal-barbecue-grill-grey.html

It wasn’t there. The item retails separately on Weber.com for £52.99.
https://www.weber.com/GB/en/accessories/cooking/gourmet-bbq-system/8834.html?cgid=502#start=1

I contacted Black’s CS team via Twitter pointing out the issue. They responded “Unfortunately, we won't be able to send this out separately”...
“I will have to arrange your order to be collected.”

The box is already in pieces in the bin and the BBQ assembled. Though unused, the assembly marks some components in places that aren’t visible during use due to the tight fit. I don’t want to return the product and doubt they’d accept it without the original packaging.

I purchased from them because it seemed like a good deal, but without the accessory it’s not. The whole package is available elsewhere at approximately £50 more.

I think they’ve advertised the product incorrectly and misrepresented what they were selling, which was actually a standalone BBQ.

I’m satisfied with the BBQ, but wondering if I’m entitled to seek reimbursement for the value of the sear grate?

Any help and advice is much appreciated.

Replies

• edited 27 May at 9:54PM
    Aylesbury_DuckAylesbury_Duck Forumite
    7.7K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 May at 9:54PM
    It's not completely clear: was that model supposed to come with the grate and it's been left out of the box, or did they mistakenly advertise the wrong model?  

In terms of resolution, they ought to accept it back for a full refund since it's their mistake, irrespective of whether it's marked or the box a bit battered.  Firstly thing I'd do is rescue the box from the bin and put it aside.  Don't use the BBQ until the matter is resolved, otherwise you might limit your options.

They may consider a partial refund to reflect the difference in price, if the mistake was to advertise incorrectly, but they could simply ask you to return it for a full refund.
  • theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    14.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could it be they cannot send it out as the item is currently OOS on their website?
  • edited 28 May at 8:20AM
    DoaMDoaM Forumite
    10.9K posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 May at 8:20AM
    Could it be they cannot send it out as the item is currently OOS on their website?
    The BBQ is OOS on their website, but the Sear Grate shows as being available, so that means they could send one if they wanted to.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
  • StevoH_2StevoH_2 Forumite
    6 posts
    DoaM said:
    The BBQ is OOS on their website, but the Sear Grate shows as being available, so that means they could send one if they wanted to.
    I can’t find it on Blacks website, not sure they stock it. If you u e a link I’d be in your debt.

The link I provided to the sear grate was on Weber’s own website merely to show the retail value of the missing accessory.
  • StevoH_2StevoH_2 Forumite
    6 posts
    It's not completely clear: was that model supposed to come with the grate and it's been left out of the box, or did they mistakenly advertise the wrong model?  

In terms of resolution, they ought to accept it back for a full refund since it's their mistake, irrespective of whether it's marked or the box a bit battered.  Firstly thing I'd do is rescue the box from the bin and put it aside.  Don't use the BBQ until the matter is resolved, otherwise you might limit your options.

They may consider a partial refund to reflect the difference in price, if the mistake was to advertise incorrectly, but they could simply ask you to return it for a full refund.
    The online description suggested it should, but they didn’t provide a model number. It was a leap of faith on my part to accept their description.

The manual that turned up suggests it’s not part of the package and that their description is for a slightly deferent model.

I’m convinced they’ve advertised it incorrectly / mis-sold it.
  • edited 28 May at 2:21PM
    DoaMDoaM Forumite
    10.9K posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 May at 2:21PM
    Apologies - I didn't notice that they were links to different websites. What that means though is they they could get one from a competitor (if they wanted to) and send it to you. Or they could give you a discount/partial refund to allow you to buy it from the competitor. The latter is probably the simplest solution so I'd propose that to them.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
  • edited 28 May at 2:32PM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 28 May at 2:32PM
    If the description is so radically wrong that they've been effectively mis-selling it,  they may just have withdrawn it from sale temporarily while they investigate and amend the description. 
    Regardless, it sounds like an accessory  was mistakenly advertised as included and they really should honour that by way of  a partial refund...
  • 452452 Forumite
    443 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    £53 to save to you rotating the food. I'd ask for the money back and put it to better use. 
  • edited 28 May at 3:34PM
    George_MichaelGeorge_Michael Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 May at 3:34PM
    452 said:
    £53 to save to you rotating the food. I'd ask for the money back and put it to better use. 
    The item concerned has nothing to do with rotating anything you are cooking.
    Its purpose is to give a crosshatch sear mark on your barbecued food:

• 452452 Forumite
    443 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    452 said:
    The item concerned has nothing to do with rotating anything you are cooking.
    Its purpose is to give a crosshatch sear mark on your barbecued food:

And any sensible person would know rotating the food will give a crosshatch.