New Post Advanced Search

PPI paid out but.....?

15 replies 563 views

Hello I have previously Had some PPI paid to me using Martin's help guides on here.  I got several of my claims agreed to but not all.  Recently I decided to use the services of a PPI recovery company to see if they could have better success and they have been most successful.   The down side is that they require paying which I had agreed too as it still left me with some money that I had been unable to recover.

The problem this time is that both payments made have included an amount brought into the calculation named as less any previous successful claimsWill the recovery company allow this previous payment, obtained by me using Martin's guide letters, to be input into the calculations as otherwise I could be unnecessarily paying out more than I am required.

I am also seeking to recover tax paid on these monies from the taxman following Martin's guides.

Regards

Replies

• edited 27 May at 4:15PM
    zx81zx81 Forumite
    28.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 May at 4:15PM
    If you made any successful complaints before you engaged the company, you won't pay any fees on those.

Don't tell them about any other complaints you made in case they try to convince you they need paying for them.
  • brettctabrettcta Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If the wording is ‘less any previous successful claims’ this refers to if you’ve made a claim in the policy when you had it as opposed to what you’re doing now, which is complaining. 2 very different things.
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • Brightfuture2011Brightfuture2011 Forumite
    6 posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi All.. 

I have 5 accounts in total with Santander . I have now had a offer of 2K for one of the accounts. 

This account from 1998 and i have had a offer this month. 2020!! 

The problem is I was bankrupt in 2009 .....

The bank santander have take it on themselves to sent it to the official reciever. 
    What I want some advice on has anyone dealt with this before and can i have this money. Do i need to fight it to get it back?
    Thanks all 

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    28.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, you don't need to fight for it.  It belongs to the OR, so Santander have done the right thing.

You shouldn't have made the complaint in the first place, but hopefully nothing will come of that and you'll hear no more.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    101.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The bank santander have take it on themselves to sent it to the official reciever. 

They have not taken it upon themselves.  They have followed the law of England and Wales.   PPI redress is a pre-bankruptcy asset.   You will be pleased to know that the creditors you failed to repay when you were bankrupt will now be getting some money thanks to your PPI complaint.

Do i need to fight it to get it back?

It is not yours to get back.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    6 posts

Hi all
    Thanks for getting back to me. Does the dates and time scale not mean anything ??

I payed alot of money back to the official reciever in the first place and lost alot of money in the houses i had at the time.

Really appreciate your help  
  • edited 10 June at 3:08PM
    brettctabrettcta Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 June at 3:08PM
    The dates mean everything. The accounts were pre-bankruptcy so the funds rightly belong to the OR. Accept this and move on.

one more thing - did you use a claims management company and if so, did you tell them you’d previously been bankrupt?
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
    6 posts
    I did it myself . Didnt know you cant ask and the dates and accounts are not connected to the bankrupt so why should they be entiltied to this money as well /
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    101.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
     and the dates and accounts are not connected to the bankrupt so why should they be entiltied to this money as well /

The dates are important.  Premiums paid before bankruptcy vs those paid after.  The former goes to the OR to distribute as a pre-bankruptcy asset. The latter goes to you.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    6 posts
    Thanks Guys ... I cant see how the ppi is a asset to the debts in the bankruptcy  that are not associated to the bankruptcy . If they connected i can understand. example the PPI was invovled in some way with the debts but these are not so why does it need to be connected. 

Thanks for your opinions I have contacted the FCA to discuss with them and my Official receiver who i cant get hold of because covid and furlough