We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Tomatoes going wrong - again!

Options
12346»

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You're not likely to get edible red tomatoes from the flowers that are on there now, it's too late in the season. What you can do is pinch out the growing tip and any sideshoots [ I can see one there at least] , give it a feed and wait and see what happens.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Davesnave said:
    strip off leaves on sides to give as much sun on to toms - then all energy will go to growth of toms rather than foliage.
     I'm unclear abut this.If not from the leaves, where is this 'energy'  to come from?

The sun. By now I will have taken off any leaves around clumps of toms and any without any flowers to let in the most amount of light and sun. 
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Davesnave said:
    strip off leaves on sides to give as much sun on to toms - then all energy will go to growth of toms rather than foliage.
     I'm unclear abut this.If not from the leaves, where is this 'energy'  to come from?

The sun. By now I will have taken off any leaves around clumps of toms and any without any flowers to let in the most amount of light and sun. 
     With a completely mature plant up to maximum height you might take many of the leaves off, but that plant isn't mature. As taff says, the remaining flowers should be removed, but stripping an immature plant won't result in more 'energy,' since the plant produces its nutrients in the leaves.

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Davesnave said:
    The sun.
    But it's the leaves that turn the sun's energy into plant food.
    It was traditional to take off the lower leaves of tall tomato plants and that can help with air circulation but you've got to keep enough leaves to power the rest of the plant.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,037 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    This is what I’ve done. Hopefully a compromise on what everyone has suggested. All the yellow flowers have gone and the leaves that were blocking the sunlight. I’ve left some other leaves in case they are necessary.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    silvercar said:
     I’ve left some other leaves in case they are necessary.
    Leaves are necessary if you believe in photosynthesis and want to get your SATs question about plant nutrition right at Key Stage 2!

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,290 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Davesnave said:
    silvercar said:
     I’ve left some other leaves in case they are necessary.
    Leaves are necessary if you believe in photosynthesis and want to get your SATs question about plant nutrition right at Key Stage 2!

OT but my son in law was furious when he failed some tick box quiz or other because he said seeds did not require dark to germinate

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback