We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Tomatoes going wrong - again!

Comments

• in_my_wellies
    in_my_wellies Posts: 1,647 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 May 2020 at 9:52PM
    I made wooden garden plant labels from the slats in an old louver door. I cut them in half and dipped them in bright orange paint. I stick one where ever I need to remember something is planted/needs watering/protection, etc
    Far many years I ran a charity plant stall and asked people to drop pots an trays by my gate. They still do 20 years later and I don't even live there anymore!
    ^^^sorry off topic
    I don't normally bother with tomatoes outside but this year I've grown 'Outdoor Girl' which is supposed to be blight resistant, the leaves look more like potatoes.  I was given the packet of seed. I planted them outside today. 
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 29 May 2020 at 10:48AM
    I don't normally bother with tomatoes outside but this year I've grown 'Outdoor Girl' which is supposed to be drought resistant, the leaves look more like potatoes.  I was given the packet of seed. I planted them outside today. 
    Flash back in time there, my Granddad grew the same variety, outside, before blight was even a problem, or maybe it was but I was in short trousers then possibly something I was not aware of
    I grew them for a  bit but they somehow seem to have lost the oomph my granddad's had

PS, I tried wooden plant labels, waste of space they had rotted & become illegible after the first winter, now I re use the plastic labels

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Farway said:
    I don't normally bother with tomatoes outside but this year I've grown 'Outdoor Girl' which is supposed to be drought resistant, the leaves look more like potatoes.  I was given the packet of seed. I planted them outside today. 
    Flash back in time there, my Granddad grew the same variety, outside, before blight was even a problem, or maybe it was but I was in short trousers then possibly something I was not aware of
    I grew them for a  bit but they somehow seem to have lost the oomph my granddad's had

PS, I tried wooden plant labels, waste of space they had rotted & become illegible after the first winter, now I re use the plastic labels

Possibly because granddad used an organic fertiliser that wouldn't be acceptable now?  

• MoneySeeker1
    MoneySeeker1 Posts: 1,229 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Farway said:

Possibly because granddad used an organic fertiliser that wouldn't be acceptable now?  

LOL - as I guess you mean the ...ahem...readily available sort....LOL.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Farway said:

LOL - as I guess you mean the ...ahem...readily available sort....LOL.
    I know what you are referring to, but as it happens it was the milkman's horse's poo, we were sent out with bucket & shovel to collect it
    It was pig poo on the gooseberries

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Farway said:

It still gets sprayed on the fields... it's easy to distinguish by the smell. As, to be fair, are all other types. I'm not a fan of liquid poultry manure when it's being sprayed round here... 
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I have plenty of well-rotted stable manure, but by the time it's turned into lovely crumbly stuff, I think whatever it had in it has probably mostly  leached away. I use it as a soil conditioner and much of the real 'oomph' for my toms and peppers is supplied via fermented comfrey leaves. Of course they stink even worse than some of the other things mentioned, which just proves they must be good!
  • RobM99
    RobM99 Posts: 2,517 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Mine are outside, I bring them in if the temp' is predicted to me less that 7°C.    They are just beginning to flower!
    Now not a gainfully employed bassist.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Davesnave said:
    I have plenty of well-rotted stable manure, but by the time it's turned into lovely crumbly stuff, I think whatever it had in it has probably mostly  leached away. I use it as a soil conditioner and much of the real 'oomph' for my toms and peppers is supplied via fermented comfrey leaves. Of course they stink even worse than some of the other things mentioned, which just proves they must be good!
    I must remember to dig up some comfrey from my brother's garden. They've got lots, and he didn't even know what it was, so I need to get to it before it is 'weeded'!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    greenbee said:
    Davesnave said:
    I must remember to dig up some comfrey from my brother's garden. They've got lots, and he didn't even know what it was, so I need to get to it before it is 'weeded'!
    It will be best if he has the variety 'Bocking14,' as that's sterile and doesn't cause problems by popping up all over your garden.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback