Student finance advice for family on UC

Hi all. 
My husband unfortunately lost his job last year and despite 100’s of applications he has not managed to secure any work. He now wants to, given the current situation, return to study. He is looking at a uni course and we are left not knowing how this will affect our finances. I currently work part time and due to health reasons and  having 2 small children I cannot increase my hours. So we currently get universal credit. Does anyone know if we will still be entitled to this if he was to return to uni. The calculators do not give an answer so we have no way of knowing. 
Thanks in advance 

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You would still be entitled to benefits but if there's any maintenance loans available to him then this will be classed as income and affect your UC £1 for £1, even if he decides not to take the loan.
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,607 Forumite
    Yes, as Poppy says, you would still be entitled to claim UC. He would need to notify UC that he has returned to education as a student, and depending upon the type and amount, student income may be taken into account, but you shouldn't be any worse off overall than you are now (with student income replacing any UC you lose).
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Note also that if student loans are available to him he will be expected to make use of them. Even if he chooses not to to DWP can treat him as if he has that loan income and reduce the UC accordingly.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback